Talk Talk Upped Connection Speed?

Old June 4th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Norman

Default Talk Talk Upped Connection Speed?

I moved house last week and just got my broadband reconnected today. My
connection speed reads as 2.3mbps....I thought Talk Talk only had 1mbps as a
max or shoud I assume it is just 1mb and my pc is telling me porkies?

Norman

Old June 4th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Norman wrote:
I moved house last week and just got my broadband reconnected today. My
connection speed reads as 2.3mbps....I thought Talk Talk only had 1mbps as a
max or shoud I assume it is just 1mb and my pc is telling me porkies?

That figure is probably your router or modem's sync speed, AIUI BT are
currently upgrading *sync* speeds to the maximum a particular line can handle.
(or rather what BT think a line can handle)

That's not necessarily the same as your connection speed. The best way to
determine this is via a speed test.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

For example my in-laws are on Pipex 256k ADSL, but their sync speed indicates
2278k. (I'll be migrating them to a better deal soon !)

--
Mark
Old June 4th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Norman

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
I moved house last week and just got my broadband reconnected today. My
connection speed reads as 2.3mbps....I thought Talk Talk only had 1mbps

as a
max or shoud I assume it is just 1mb and my pc is telling me porkies?

That figure is probably your router or modem's sync speed, AIUI BT are
currently upgrading *sync* speeds to the maximum a particular line can

handle.
(or rather what BT think a line can handle)

That's not necessarily the same as your connection speed. The best way to
determine this is via a speed test.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

For example my in-laws are on Pipex 256k ADSL, but their sync speed

indicates
2278k. (I'll be migrating them to a better deal soon !)

Thanks for that, my speed shows as Downstream 906 Kbps (113.3 KB/sec) 978
Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Just thought it a coincedence as my old connection at the old house only
showed up as 1mbps on connection.

Norman

Old June 4th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:10:22 +0100, "Norman"
wrote:

My
connection speed reads as 2.3mbps....I thought Talk Talk only had 1mbps as a
max or shoud I assume it is just 1mb and my pc is telling me porkies?

I think they connect at 2M and throttle elsewhere to the speed you
have paid for. This way they can change speed later without involving
BT.

Phil