Is 1 Meg my maximum speed with these figures?

Old June 5th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cummings

Default Is 1 Meg my maximum speed with these figures?

Hi All,
My exchange has recently been enabled and I have gone with
Wanadoo at the 1M connection speed. It's working fine and I am happy
with 1M. I have wondered if it may be possible to get higher speeds if
an upgrade is offered at some time in the future. The figures from my
router are as follows;- Down Up

SNR 26.4 25.0 db

Line Att. 57.8 31.3 db

The distance to the exchange is 3.93 km according to a recent
17070 test.

Regards,

Chris Cummings
--
Chris Cummings
Old June 5th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

Chris Cummings wrote:

snip

Down Up

SNR 26.4 25.0 db

Line Att. 57.8 31.3 db

/snip

Yep, 1Mbit will be the most you can get. The BT Wholesale limit for
2Mbit is 43db downstream attenuation, and 60db for 1Mbit.

Don't go taking those figures from your router as gospel though, as
they're often inaccurate. My router (Cisco 837) reports 50.5db, ie,
well out of spec for 2Mbit but my account got upgraded a few weeks ago
and is rock solid.

~P.
Old June 6th 05, 06:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Paul Eagles" wrote in message
Chris Cummings wrote:

snip

Down Up

SNR 26.4 25.0 db

Line Att. 57.8 31.3 db

/snip

Yep, 1Mbit will be the most you can get. The BT Wholesale limit for
2Mbit is 43db downstream attenuation, and 60db for 1Mbit.

Don't go taking those figures from your router as gospel though, as
they're often inaccurate. My router (Cisco 837) reports 50.5db, ie,
well out of spec for 2Mbit but my account got upgraded a few weeks ago
and is rock solid.

~P.

How do you find these figures please?
Blair

Old June 6th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cummings

In message , Paul Eagles
writes
Chris Cummings wrote:

snip

Down Up
SNR 26.4 25.0 db
Line Att. 57.8 31.3 db

/snip

Yep, 1Mbit will be the most you can get. The BT Wholesale limit for 2Mbit
is 43db downstream attenuation, and 60db for 1Mbit.

Don't go taking those figures from your router as gospel though, as they're
often inaccurate. My router (Cisco 837) reports 50.5db, ie, well out of
spec for 2Mbit but my account got upgraded a few weeks ago and is rock
solid.

~P.

Paul,
Thanks for the info. I suspected that this would be the case but
as I have still not lost the warm glow which comes from realising that I
can get 110 KB downloads compared with 5 KB (if I was lucky), I think
that I can live with 1MB!

Regards,
Chris
--