Contacting Plusnet

Old June 5th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Contacting Plusnet

How can one email Plusnet? Even as a 'guest' login, the contact page is
not available. As I am considering them, it doesn't bode well if I
cannot ask a technical question upon which signing with them may depend.

Why not ask your question here?

--
Peter Crosland

Old June 11th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Jun 2005 17:50, Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

W98SE (4.10.2222)
10GB HDD, 4.29GB free
2 USB ports: Gravis Eliminator Gamepad Pro
Linksys 4 way hub,: I printer, 3 vacant (Memory sticks etc.)
There is no network port but lots of free slots.

Question: would Plusnet's USB modem work OK or should he opt for a card
and router? Also, the computer is about 30 feet from the phone socket.
What advice can you offer about cables for that distance?

There have been 'issues' with various USB modems, whether using Win 98 SE
or Win XP, and from my limited use (under 2 months) of USB, I'd avoid it,
even for a single PC. It's quite possible it will work, but you will be
needing a long phone extension cable (since you'd have a problem running
USB at 10m AFAIK!). I'd suggest a low cost router (they can be bought
for under 30 pounds for a single-port device, and under 5 pounds for a
network card - try www.ebuyer.com or www.dabs.com for both items), and
while you can get a 10m 'RJ45 patch cable' what might be a neater option
would be to use two short patch cables (under 1.50 apiece) plus wall-mount
boxes and sockets, and a length of solid core RJ45 cable. If you want to
pay the postage, I can supply 10 to 15 m of the solid core cable (I have
a lot of it spare from a 300m length) and check for RJ45 faceplates at
http://network-cabling.co.uk/ (for example - check Maplin prices too).

Other (but more costly) options include wireless, of course, but there's
quite a difference in cost (you should be able to get the wired solution
done for under 50 quid, I'd expect, depending on delivery costs, while a
wireless solution is likely to be 75 or more). For a tenner or less, it
might be easy enough to get an Argos phone line extension to try out the
USB solution, and keep it for use with a phone (via filter) by the PC if
the USB solution ends up not being ideal, as there's often a need to use
both PC and phone (when fixing PC-related problems :-) Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)