Telecom/Broadband Provider

Old June 5th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rhino

Default Telecom/Broadband Provider

Hi,

I've just moved into a newly built flat and BT have informed me that they
will charge £75 to install a new phone line even though there are already BT
branded sockets in the flat.

I do not live in a cable activated area and was wondering which other
companies offer landlines for me to use to connect to ADSL and how much they
charge for installation. I'm not bothered about call charges as I use my
free mobile minutes for most of my calls.

Thanks,

Rhino

Old June 5th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Rhino" wrote in message
I've just moved into a newly built flat and BT have informed me that they
will charge £75 to install a new phone line even though there are already
BT
branded sockets in the flat.

That means that BT have installed the sockets in the flat while it was being
built (easier for everyone) but that the first occupier will have to pay the
installation/connection charges.

I do not live in a cable activated area and was wondering which other
companies offer landlines for me to use to connect to ADSL and how much
they
charge for installation. I'm not bothered about call charges as I use my
free mobile minutes for most of my calls.

There are very few companies which will offer to conenct your BT line and
they are normally more expensive than BT (as its BT that they have to
subcontract to do the work)

http://www.itplc.com/Pricing/special.asp charge £123.38 for instance.

The only one that I can think of who is cheaper is Bulldog Broadband
(http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/) but only if you live in an area they have
LLU'ed and offer their upto 8MB service in.

They currently charge £60 for a new line to be installed (with a one month
contract) - for part of last month they were actually only charging a £1.

However, the lead time for an installation is likely to be longer with them
instead of going straight with BT, as they will want to schedule one of
their engineers to install ADSL on your line on the same day BT come to
connect/activate it.

However, if you do want to sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my
referral code -just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How
did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while
ordering by telephone (and please drop me an email and let me know!).

Regards
Sunil

Old June 5th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 5 Jun 2005 17:45, "Rhino" wrote:

I do not live in a cable activated area and was wondering which other
companies offer landlines for me to use to connect to ADSL and how much
they charge for installation.

For the most part, you'll find similar pricing (if not higher) from others.
Without giving your area code/post code/town it's difficult to suggest who
else might offer a service... Bulldog are doing a deal at present which
costs 60 pounds (instead of 120). FWIW, it is not uncommon for people to
complain about the connection charge of 74.99 but this fee is unavoidable,
unless taking over a line from someone else. Work has been done to make it
possible for easy connection, rather than having to have an engineer visit,
drill holes, and spend time, messing up your apartment... The first one
to make use of the line pays the connection fees, and always has. PGM
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 6th 05, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Find a neighbour with ADSL, ask to share his connection via wifi, split the
cost, laugh all the way past the BT exchange to the bank.
You can even use VoIP softphone for cheap or free calls to landlines and
abroad.
Regards,
Martin