Wireless addition

Old June 5th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Wireless addition

I have a Draytek 2600plus but find that a planned additional PC is located
where the effort to install fix wiring would be massive task. A possible
solution would be a HomePlug Ethernet Adapter system, but the end user
feedback on this type equipment seems to be rather negative. So it's going to
be wirless, however even that is not going to be all that straightforward.

I could simply throw money at this requirment and buy a Draytek wireless unit
plus an internal wireless card for the PC but my pockets aren't that deep so
what would the gurus in this newsgroup suggest as an add on piece of kit to
provide wireless connectivity?

At the PC end, for security reasons, the PC is housed inside a very sturdy
metal cabinet which does not bode well for good wireless connectivity so I
would like to additional ask what is available as an external aerial which
presumably would be connected to the ethernet port although spare USB outlets
are available?

Suggestions and help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

David Bradley
Old June 6th 05, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can sell your 2600+ on ebay and buy 2600G or 2600We if you not bothered
about speed there too.
If the router needs to be in the metal box (why) you can connect wifi AP
(outside box !) to your router, but it's bit messy.
Regards,
Martin

Old June 6th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:20:22 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

You can sell your 2600+ on ebay and buy 2600G or 2600We if you not bothered
about speed there too.
If the router needs to be in the metal box (why) you can connect wifi AP
(outside box !) to your router, but it's bit messy.
Regards,
Martin

I appreciate your response. What could I expect to get for a 2600+ on ebay?

I must have caused some confusion; it was not the router that was in a secure
enviroment but the PC. Do you know of any external aerials that can be fitted
to a PC instead of the usual internal card?

David Bradley
Old June 6th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

External aerials are available but remember that wireless networks are
inherently insecure. Is the wired route really as bad as you make out?

Peter Crosland

Old June 6th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On 2005-06-06 10:21:15 +0100, David Bradley said:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:20:22 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

You can sell your 2600+ on ebay and buy 2600G or 2600We if you not
bothered about speed there too.
If the router needs to be in the metal box (why) you can connect wifi
AP (outside box !) to your router, but it's bit messy.
Regards,
Martin

I appreciate your response. What could I expect to get for a 2600+ on ebay?

I must have caused some confusion; it was not the router that was in a secure
enviroment but the PC. Do you know of any external aerials that can be fitted
to a PC instead of the usual internal card?

David Bradley

If security is such an issue u shouldn't put it on a network.

Steve

Old June 6th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:21:15 +0100, David Bradley
wrote:

What could I expect to get for a 2600+ on ebay?

5779145974 £120 BIN
5779591699 £40 so far

5776173658 £82
5776543821 £87 reserve not met

Phil

Old June 7th 05, 03:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

David Bradley:

Do you know of any external aerials that can be fitted
to a PC instead of the usual internal card?

You can usually connect aerials to PCI WiFi adaptors, but that can work out
expensive and the length of the special coax cable makes a difference to the
signal.
It's much easier to buy an USB adapter on the end of a cable (you can have
extension up to 5m). I have good experience with D-Link G122 and Orinoco
802.11b.
Regards,
Martin