Broadband and wireless laptop

Old June 5th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jt

Default Broadband and wireless laptop

I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a desktop
computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do i just need
to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current broadband connection on
my laptop?

TIA

jt
Old June 5th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

jt wrote:
I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a desktop
computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do i just need
to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current broadband connection on
my laptop?

That would be the best way. The alternative, connecting a wirless card
to the PC with the USB modem, would end in tears. Wireless routers are
cheap enough these days.
Old June 5th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

jt wrote:

I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a desktop
computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do i just need
to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current broadband connection
on my laptop?

TIA

jt

Sort of! You need to throw away the existing USB modem and get a combined
ADSL modem/router. You can then connect *both* computers to the same
broadband connection at the same time.

Does the laptop also have a ethernet port, and could you conveniently have
*wired* connections from the router to both computers? If so, you don't need
a wireless router. If you want to move the laptop around a lot to different
parts of the house - or even the garden - a wireless router would be better,
and will make use of the laptop's built-in wi-fi facility. Even wireless
routers have several ethernet ports for wired connections so, if possible,
have a wired connection to the desktop computer. This will be more reliable
and will make configuring the router much easier. If you *do* use wireless,
gen up on the necessary security measures to prevent the world and his dog
from gatecrashing your network.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 6th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Try
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...lsProducts.asp

Old June 6th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Silk wrote:
jt wrote:
I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a desktop
computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do i just need
to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current broadband connection on
my laptop?

That would be the best way. The alternative, connecting a wirless card
to the PC with the USB modem, would end in tears. Wireless routers are
cheap enough these days.

Not to mention that if the computer is on primarily to act as a router,
you'll typically save enough electricity over the course of under a year
to pay back the cost of the router.
Old June 6th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jt

Tiscali Tim wrote:
jt wrote:

I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a desktop
computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do i just need
to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current broadband connection
on my laptop?

TIA

jt

Sort of! You need to throw away the existing USB modem and get a combined
ADSL modem/router. You can then connect *both* computers to the same
broadband connection at the same time.

Thank you for your advice(and all others who replied).I have just bought
a Belkin DSL-Modem with wireless G router.It says to install the router
first .Should i install the installation software prior to installing
the router itself though?

TIA

jt
Old June 7th 05, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
jt opined very noisily:
Tiscali Tim wrote:
jt wrote:

I have just bought one of those wifi laptops.I already have a
desktop computer with broadband access through a adsl usb modem.Do
i just need to buy a router(?wireless)to access my current
broadband connection on my laptop?

TIA

jt

Sort of! You need to throw away the existing USB modem and get a
combined ADSL modem/router. You can then connect *both* computers to
the same broadband connection at the same time.

Thank you for your advice(and all others who replied).I have just
bought a Belkin DSL-Modem with wireless G router.It says to install
the router first .Should i install the installation software prior
to installing the router itself though?

RTFM !
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old June 7th 05, 04:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jt

Yddap wrote:

RTFM !

FOYAC!!
Old June 8th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:36:07 +0100, jt wrote:

Yddap wrote:

RTFM !

FOYAC!!

That's usenet, you always get some self-righteous twerp who comes back with what
he/she thinks is an smart response, and I thought half-term had finished.

RTFM is all very well but IIRC, the Belkin has a poster-type quick install which
will help.

Connect to the router with an ethernet cable, at least for the set-up procedure.
You can go wireless afterward.

If you browse the Router set-up by putting 192.168.2.1 (the usual default IP
address for Belkin routers) into the browser address bar you will find a set-up
wizard. You will need your ISP username and password and it might be as well to
check with ISP help pages to see if there are any special settings required for
wireless routers.

Also, don't forget to uninstall your ISPs modem set-up programs after you have
ditched their modem.

Old June 8th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

jt wrote:

Thank you for your advice(and all others who replied).I have just
bought a Belkin DSL-Modem with wireless G router.It says to install
the router first .Should i install the installation software prior
to installing the router itself though?

I'm not quite sure from the above whether this is a combined modem/router -
or two separate bits of kit. Which is is?
--
Cheers,
Tim