Use of an additional broadband router with bt broadband

Old June 7th 05, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Use of an additional broadband router with bt broadband

I have a bt broadband account using the modem supplied by BT, an
Alcatel Speedtouch. I wanted another broadband modem/router to use on
the computer upstairs when the computer downstairs was switched off, so
purchased a Mercury ETEC modem router.

I thought (famous last words) all I would have to do was hook the thing
up, enter my username and password, and it would connect through to BT.
It doesn't, of course. The Mercury modem appears to make ADSL contact
with the internet, at least according to the lights on its display it
does, but then it times out -- there is no response from the computer I
am trying to contact, i.e. the bt broadband server.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong, or can point me to a solution?
I can't ask BT, because they only support the Alcatel modem which they
supply. I am not very clued up technically, but surely the average
person should be able to make a broadband connection to the internet
with a modem, without requiring a diploma in computing studies?

Tom J.

Old June 7th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks, Phil, that may be the problem -- because I notice that I can't
get through on my usual connection when the new modem upstairs is
connected. I hadn't thought of unplugging the old modem, because it is
on a laptop, and the laptop is in sleep mode when I am upstairs trying
to connect using the new router. I thought this would close down the
internet connection. So I'll try your suggestion tonight!

I think the other settings are OK, though I've messed around with them
so much trying to get the thing to work that I'm not entirely sure...

Tom.

Old June 7th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, Phil, that may be the problem -- because I notice that I can't
get through on my usual connection when the new modem upstairs is
connected. I hadn't thought of unplugging the old modem, because it is
on a laptop, and the laptop is in sleep mode when I am upstairs trying
to connect using the new router. I thought this would close down the
internet connection. So I'll try your suggestion tonight!

I think the other settings are OK, though I've messed around with them
so much trying to get the thing to work that I'm not entirely sure...

Yes, it is an error to have more than one ADSL modem on the same line -
certainly if both are switched on and probably if one is switched off. When
I was testing a customer's router the other day, I powered-off my own router
but didn't unplug the ADSL line - and the new router failed to find a DSL
carrier (it remained in "training" mode). As soon as I unplugged my own
router, the other one connected.

Old June 8th 05, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Sad to say, unplugging the Alcatel (BT-supplied) modem didn't solve the
problem. I'm still getting the message 'No response from remote
computer'. Is it possible that at the BT end they can identify the type
of modem that is being used and only accept a connection from the
Alcatel?

Cable networking of the two computers might be easier than using two
modems (one a modem/router), but firstly it would mean boring holes
through walls and floors, and secondly one computer is often closed
down (particularly the laptop) when the other one is being used. My
solution of getting an extra modem/router got round both these issues,
but not if the blessed thing never manages to make a connection!

Tom.

Old June 8th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The error message comes up after I click on the BT Broadband connection
in Network Connections -- the dialogue box tells me I am connecting,
but then that there is an error and that the remote computer is not
responding. I'll check the error number when I get home this evening,
as Phil suggests.

Tom.

Old June 8th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 8 Jun 2005 04:51:58 -0700, ] said :-

The error message comes up after I click on the BT Broadband connection
in Network Connections -- the dialogue box tells me I am connecting,
but then that there is an error and that the remote computer is not
responding. I'll check the error number when I get home this evening,
as Phil suggests.

Tom.

You should ask in one of the btinternet or btopenworld internal
newsgroups. Try using news.btinternet.com and point at one of the
'internal' .support newsgroups.