Broadband again

Old June 7th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leveled

Default Broadband again

Cant decide!! Which would be the best 14-99 or cheaper Broadband deal for
a light user, I had thought Plusnet ,but Virgin seems to compare favourably
, Any advice appreciated Regards E

Old June 7th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 7 Jun 2005 13:45, "Leveled" wrote:

Cant decide!! I had thought Plusnet, but Virgin seems to compare favourably
Any advice appreciated

It depends what you want... Virgin lets you download 3 GB on the account
they offer, while there are two Plus.Net accounts, one PAYG (which seems a
bit tight for the money) or the Broadband Plus with no monthly quota. You
will get whatever maximum speed your line can support with Plus.Net or the
500 kbps standard (which is fine anyway) with Virgin. So what's there to
make one more favourable than the other (as price isn't it)... Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 8th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Peter M wrote:
On 7 Jun 2005 13:45, "Leveled" wrote:

Cant decide!! I had thought Plusnet, but Virgin seems to compare favourably
Any advice appreciated

It depends what you want... Virgin lets you download 3 GB on the account
they offer, while there are two Plus.Net accounts, one PAYG (which seems a
bit tight for the money) or the Broadband Plus with no monthly quota. You
will get whatever maximum speed your line can support with Plus.Net or the
500 kbps standard (which is fine anyway) with Virgin. So what's there to
make one more favourable than the other (as price isn't it)... Peter M.

The fact that if you cancel Virgin after a year there's nothing to pay.

If you cancel plusnet there's 58.75 - 11.75 + 25 (if you opt for the
'free' modem) to pay them. (See the Ts and Cs )

So that makes a difference of 72, if my built in calculator is correct.

Geoff
Old June 8th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 08 Jun 2005 12:35, Geoff wrote:

So that makes a difference of 72, if my built in calculator is correct.

It isn't, (20 not 25 for the modem as that, too goes down at 20% a year)
but point taken on that. However, you only get 3 GB a month on the Virgin
account, and a lower speed, too, compared with Plus.Net "Broadband Plus".

So again, it does depend on what you want... AAISP offers 3 GB of daytime
use (but just having streaming radio services can eat more than that in a
month), and my guess is that people are likely to want to experiment more
once the extra speed is available to them... with video clips, audio +
podcasts available, people may download quite a lot of temporary items
(ignoring those who get into peer-to-peer or binary newsgroups). Peter M.