Broadband checker - inconsistent

Old June 8th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

Default Broadband checker - inconsistent

I live 5.3Km as the crow flies from the local BT exchange which is ADSL
enabled, but the cable distance is probably nearer 8Km. The adsl
checker at:

http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/ad...hecker.welcome

says that I could have 2Mbit but that the BT records show a line sharing
device is present, hence the marginal result (?).

If I enter my neighbour's number I'm told that it is very unlikely he
will get even 512K or 256K. I fully expect that his cabling shares the
same route from the exchange up as far as the pole opposite the houses.

If I enter our joint postcode, it says we may be able to have 1Meg, 512
or 256K but that 1Meg may need an engineer's visit.

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy?

Regards
Phil

Old June 8th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The BT line checker is notoriously inacurate.

Peter Crosland

Old June 8th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:13:35 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy?

welcome to the line guesser. Does the address version do any better.

If you have moved or renumbered recently that can casue this. If as it
says there is a DACS unit then the precise cable you will get to use
is unknown which can generate oddities.

Phil

Old June 9th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"P.R.Brady" wrote:

I live 5.3Km as the crow flies from the local BT exchange which is ADSL
enabled, but the cable distance is probably nearer 8Km. The adsl
checker at:

http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/ad...hecker.welcome

says that I could have 2Mbit but that the BT records show a line sharing
device is present, hence the marginal result (?).

If I enter my neighbour's number I'm told that it is very unlikely he
will get even 512K or 256K. I fully expect that his cabling shares the
same route from the exchange up as far as the pole opposite the houses.

If I enter our joint postcode, it says we may be able to have 1Meg, 512
or 256K but that 1Meg may need an engineer's visit.

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy?

I've got a 1Mb connection which is stable. If I log onto the BT site with my number
then it says I might be lucky to get a 256k connection. Clearly the BT site is
wrong. I suggest you ask your ISP for the fastest connection and see what happens

Prior to this we had a big outage in our village - up to then my number showed that
1mb would possibly be okay. Since the outage I get the above message saying it won't
work. As I've got a stable 1mb link, it must be down to the connections that the
engineers at BT have set through the local box, giving the wrong info to the BT
database/guess.

This is how I see it anyway - others may differ in opinion.

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 9th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:13:35 +0100, P.R.Brady wrote:

I live 5.3Km as the crow flies from the local BT exchange which is ADSL
enabled, but the cable distance is probably nearer 8Km. The adsl
checker at:

http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/ad...hecker.welcome

says that I could have 2Mbit but that the BT records show a line sharing
device is present, hence the marginal result (?).

If I enter my neighbour's number I'm told that it is very unlikely he
will get even 512K or 256K. I fully expect that his cabling shares the
same route from the exchange up as far as the pole opposite the houses.

If I enter our joint postcode, it says we may be able to have 1Meg, 512
or 256K but that 1Meg may need an engineer's visit.

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy?

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil,

The BT checker isn't 100% reliable, and with a DACS unit (line sharing
device) on the line it won't be able to accurately tell what speed you can
get. At 8km it is likely that only 512kbps would be possible, but the only
way to know for sure is to submit an order.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old June 9th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

wrote:

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy?

welcome to the line guesser. Does the address version do any better.

If you have moved or renumbered recently that can casue this. If as it
says there is a DACS unit then the precise cable you will get to use
is unknown which can generate oddities.

Phil

Hi Phil,
My number has been the same for 5 years, my neighbour's for much
longer. I'll try the address checker when it's online again.
Thanks
Phil