Best ISP for News Server

Old June 9th 05, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ras

Default Best ISP for News Server

Any ideas on which ISP has the best News SErver for binaries
Old June 9th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Hi
From what I hear you are best off going with an external provider, such as
Giganews. Claranet have their own (but still have to pay) but they have poor
retention (~2 days at present). Getting Tb of data a day is just too much
for ISP's to provide this free.

Paul

Old June 9th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

Griffin have binaries, but as the other guy says, they may not retain for
long

Old June 9th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

ras wrote:
Any ideas on which ISP has the best News SErver for binaries

We provide a news feed with most of our ADSL accounts. Retention is
about 4.5 days.

Kind Regards,

Old June 9th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 Jun 2005 10:12, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

We provide a news feed with most of our ADSL accounts. Retention is
about 4.5 days.

There's been mention (though not yet implemented) of a 15 GB/month limit on
downloads from the news service. It is also available from other ISPs for
a small monthly fee (originally intended for users of BT Broadband, but the
restriction on users of other ISPs seems to have been dropped). Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 9th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Jun 2005 08:49, "Paul C" wrote:

you are best off going with an external provider, such as Giganews

Metronet uses Supernews and has a search facility to check for length of
retention (http://www.supernews.com/stats/retention.cgi). There's some
restriction on Metronet (to prevent heavy loading of the ADSL service, and
/or Supernews fees, perhaps) which means you cannot download at faster than
128 kbps [see posts in this newsgroup using http://groups.google.com/ ).

Old June 9th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
ras wrote:

Any ideas on which ISP has the best News SErver for binaries

You're probably better getting a separate subscription. Most ISPs
inhouse servers aren't great and those that outsource usually limit the
amount you can download, or the download speed.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old June 10th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smolley

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news
In article ,
ras wrote:

Any ideas on which ISP has the best News SErver for binaries

You're probably better getting a separate subscription. Most ISPs
inhouse servers aren't great and those that outsource usually limit the
amount you can download, or the download speed.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net

finding a supplier who would accept a switch debit card instead of a cedit
card, because nearly all are in the states.

After a long trawl I found corenews who use worldpay and accept a wide rage
of payment types.

Regards

Smolley