NO CONTRACT Broadband?

Old June 9th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FuzzyWuzzy

Default NO CONTRACT Broadband?

Hi there,

I am moving house, but am going to be in temporary accommodation for about
4-8weeks with a friend. Who is the best non 12 month contracting broadband
provider around at the moment?

The last time I did this I used Virgin.net who were rubbish (though my NTL
CABLE service has been GREAT).

Thanks for your help,

Lloyd

Old June 9th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:

: I am moving house, but am going to be in temporary accommodation for about
: 4-8weeks with a friend. Who is the best non 12 month contracting broadband
: provider around at the moment?

You are happy to pay for line activation (~70) to get on a monthly contract
with all other ISPs if you do not like Virgin???
Old June 9th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FuzzyWuzzy

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:

: I am moving house, but am going to be in temporary accommodation for
about
: 4-8weeks with a friend. Who is the best non 12 month contracting
broadband
: provider around at the moment?

You are happy to pay for line activation (~70) to get on a monthly
contract
with all other ISPs if you do not like Virgin???

Nope, I'm looking for similar offerings to Virgin's but from different
suppliers.

Old June 9th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 Jun 2005 18:14 GMT, "FuzzyWuzzy" wrote:

Nope, I'm looking for similar offerings to Virgin's but from different
suppliers.

You're after (a) no setup fee and (b) no significant contract length...

AFAIK, Virgin.net is the only ISP offering both. Seems like your options
will be (a) no ADSL, (b) Virgin.net, or (c) pay activation fee and have a
service with 1 month contract, so after 3-4 weeks you need to give notice

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 9th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FuzzyWuzzy

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 88...
On 09 Jun 2005 18:14 GMT, "FuzzyWuzzy" wrote:

Nope, I'm looking for similar offerings to Virgin's but from different
suppliers.

You're after (a) no setup fee and (b) no significant contract length...

AFAIK, Virgin.net is the only ISP offering both. Seems like your options
will be (a) no ADSL, (b) Virgin.net, or (c) pay activation fee and have a
service with 1 month contract, so after 3-4 weeks you need to give notice

Aww poopie! I was hoping the market would have grown a bit in the
non-contract area by now! Ok, thanks for your help!

Old June 9th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FuzzyWuzzy

I was just signing up for Virgin and hit this hurdle:

Broadband cancellation charge:

If you wish to cancel your broadband account once it's activated, you'll
need to give us 30 days notice. While we don't tie you into a 12 month
contact (unlike most broadband providers), we do reserve the right to apply
a 50 cancellation charge if your service is cancelled within 12 months of
activation. Unfortunately, this charge is necessary due to the cost of
activating your broadband service.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old June 9th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 Jun 2005 19:11 GMT, "FuzzyWuzzy" wrote:

Unfortunately, this charge is necessary due to the cost of activating
your broadband service.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

BT makes the charge - presumably the accountants told them they were daft
bu**ers to be absorbing the cost for all those people who had joined and
then left quickly afterwards. Since they get charges, you get charged.
Some charge much more. Welcome to the 'real world' :-) Peter M.
Old June 9th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:

: Aww poopie! I was hoping the market would have grown a bit in the
: non-contract area by now! Ok, thanks for your help!

No - it's getting worse! PlusNet ties you in to repaying the activation
fee (on a decreasing sliding scale) for up to *5 years*.
Old June 9th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Why not just enjoy the summer and get back online for the winter.

There is life without the net.

. 88...