ADSL Modem Router questions

Old June 9th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

Default ADSL Modem Router questions

Windows XP Home Edition
Demon home 500 broadband
Ebuyer Modem Router (link below for actual product)

New to the subject of Modem Routers. Recently bought this as it had great
reviews and a very good price. Quick and simple to set up. However, I have
a couple of questions.

The following figures are returned. Can anyone please tell me if they are
OK?

Downstream Upstream
SNR 39 30
Attenuation 35 21
Data Rate 576 288

Secondly. I have connected via network cable and all works fine (USB also
OK) but sometimes when I come out of standby the mail will respond (not
always though) but access to web browsing is often dead. Sometimes this
returns after a short period and sometimes not. I had changed the setting
that allows All Traffic will reset Idle Timer. Is there something I am not
doing? Have to say that otherwise I am pleased with the purchase. Can't
find a massive amount of difference than with the supplied free speedtouch
330 (maybe a small increase in speed) which always worked fine and would
simply reboot when coming out of standby and connections were then fine.

Many thanks for any advice posted.

--
§meagol

Old June 9th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:42:43 +0100, "§meagol" wrote:

Ebuyer Modem Router (link below for actual product)

When giving links to products, it is sometimes easier to say item 48448
on www.ebuyer.com than giving a massive URL. Anyway you certainly don't
need "rb=6318835566&&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV 3"

Hmmm, I thought I had a bargain at 22.99 (though there was free delivery
at the time I bought mine) a few months ago. 19.99 is a nice low fee!

Can anyone please tell me if they are OK?

Downstream Upstream
SNR 39 30
Attenuation 35 21
Data Rate 576 288

They're fine. I'd be more concerned if there were errored seconds clocking
up or loss of signal was increasing (might be caused by poor filters and if
someone then picks up the phone...) You'll see people query the amount of
attenuation when they want 2000 kbps and higher... at 35 dB you are easily
below the 40+ dB and 60 dB levels at which some higher speeds might fail.

Secondly. I have connected via network cable and all works fine (USB also
OK) but sometimes when I come out of standby the mail will respond (not
always though) but access to web browsing is often dead. Sometimes this
returns after a short period and sometimes not. I had changed the setting
that allows All Traffic will reset Idle Timer.

Is there something I am not doing?

I don't seem to be able to find such a setting. Maybe it's in a menu I've
never bothered to check !!! On mine, in WAN configuration, I've got the
'Automatic reconnect' enabled under PPP settings on the right hand side.

Have to say that otherwise I am pleased with the purchase. Can't find a
massive amount of difference than with the supplied free speedtouch 330
(maybe a small increase in speed) which always worked fine and would
simply reboot when coming out of standby and connections were then fine.

However, with NAT in effect, you could (a) add a second or multiple PCs
[if you plugged a hub into the router, and the PCs into the hub] and
(b) your firewall (assuming you had break-in attempts being reported)
should show few or no attempts on your system now, compared with a USB
modem, which leaves your PC available for anything to connect to... NAT
will block unsolicited incoming traffic from reaching the LAN side of
it, so your PC is fairly simply screened off from outsiders. Peter M.
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 10th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 88...
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:42:43 +0100, "§meagol" wrote:

Ebuyer Modem Router (link below for actual product)

When giving links to products, it is sometimes easier to say item 48448
on www.ebuyer.com than giving a massive URL. Anyway you certainly don't
need "rb=6318835566&&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV 3"

In my ignorance I simply gave the address as displayed. I would be most
grateful if you could explain just how difficult it was for you (or anyone
else) to click on the link or what other seemingly insurmountable problems
this may have caused in order to avoid inconveniencing folk in the future.

Thanks.
--
§meagol

Old June 10th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

§meagol wrote:

. 88...
wrote:

Ebuyer Modem Router (link below for actual product)

When giving links to products, it is sometimes easier to say item
48448 on www.ebuyer.com than giving a massive URL. Anyway you
certainly don't need
"rb=6318835566&&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV 3"

In my ignorance I simply gave the address as displayed. I would be
most grateful if you could explain just how difficult it was for you
(or anyone else) to click on the link or what other seemingly
insurmountable problems this may have caused in order to avoid
inconveniencing folk in the future.

Thanks.

I haven't been following this thread - so don't know exactly what you
posted. However, long links which wrap onto several lines don't always get
completely transferred into the browser address box when you click on them -
necessitating a certain amount of manual cutting and pasting - for anyone
who can be bothered.

The alternative is to convert it to a tinyURL - see http://tinyurl.com/

Once installed, you will have an icon in your browser toolbar which - when
clicked on - converts the current URL to a very short one, and (depending on
which browser you use) can put it on the clipboard ready to be pasted into a
message.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 10th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:36:39 +0100, "§meagol"
wrote:

I would be most
grateful if you could explain just how difficult it was for you (or anyone
else) to click on the link or what other seemingly insurmountable problems
this may have caused in order to avoid inconveniencing folk in the future.

in this instance it worked OK, often it breaks in two due to
newsreader client settings then people will shout that the link
doesn't work.

Can you set the idel timeout to 0 to disable it, also set the DHCP
lease time to a larg enumber (or indefinite or maybe zero) to avoid
that needing to be re-assigned after a "standby" period.

Phil

Old June 10th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

The alternative is to convert it to a tinyURL - see
http://tinyurl.com/

If you really want to **** people off.

Why? Please explain!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 10th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

The alternative is to convert it to a tinyURL - see
http://tinyurl.com/

If you really want to **** people off.

Why? Please explain!

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more

[1] it is pointless, just use
[2] it creates more Internet traffic
[3] you can't see where the link is going

None of which are particularly compelling reasons for not using it!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 10th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more

[1] it is pointless, just use
[2] it creates more Internet traffic
[3] you can't see where the link is going

None of which are particularly compelling reasons for not using it!

[4] It makes you look like a ****
[5] AOL

Does anyone else agree with this - or is it just Nigel M with some sort of
hangup about tinyurl ?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 10th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:09:22 UTC, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

Does anyone else agree with this - or is it just Nigel M with some sort of
hangup about tinyurl ?

Well, there is the point that you can't see where you're going until you
get there...it could be some kind of exploit for all you know.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old June 10th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

Does anyone else agree with this - or is it just Nigel M with some
sort of hangup about tinyurl ?

Well, there is the point that you can't see where you're going until
you get there...it could be some kind of exploit for all you know.

Yes, that's fair enough. Maybe one should always quote both the long and the
short form - so that recipients have an alternative if the wrapped one
doesn't work. [OK, you *could* still quote a dodgy tinyurl which didn't
match the long one - but if you're a regular/known poster to a NG, you can
hopefully be trusted not to do that!]
--
Cheers,
Tim