Is 512kb more stable?

Old June 10th 05, 02:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

Default Is 512kb more stable?

I've just read this on the Zen board at ADSL Guide:

"Some premises have more RF noise (interference) than others. Where this
is a problem, the usual answer is a filtered placeplate with a short
Cat5 cable to a nearby router, so the RF interference pickup is
minimised.

Lots of people haven't seen any adverse effects from this in the past
because 512k is remarkably tolerant of poor signal quality. Higher
speeds are less tolerant."

Does this make any sense?

--
Simon
Old June 10th 05, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

Yes. Higher speeds give a lower Signal/noise ratio. Cat5 wire is twisted
and has interference rejection properties.

Old June 10th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 Jun 2005 06:36, "SteveB" [email protected] wrote:

Yes. Higher speeds give a lower Signal/noise ratio. Cat5 wire is twisted
and has interference rejection properties.

I suspect you mean "Cat5 pairs are twisted" :-) Peter M.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old June 10th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:49:59 +0100, simon
wrote:

Does this make any sense?

faster speeds need either more channels or a higher signal to noise
ratio in the same channel (about 6 dB more to double the speed) so it
would be true to say that 512k is more tolerant than 1M but Home250
would be more tolerant still.

Some people who get upgrades to their maximum line speed have found
they had to drop back for better reliability.

Phil

Old June 10th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

Bottom posting on a long post is more annoying than top posting. All that
scrolling to see if it's worth reading. I prefer to delete if the previous
post is long, it's neater, but I've made an exception in your case and done
it on a short post.

Old June 10th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 Jun 2005 16:14, "SteveB" [email protected] wrote:

All that scrolling to see if it's worth reading.

I quite agree, when idiots cannot be bothered to trim what they post.

Bottom posting on a long post is more annoying than top posting.

Of course, you won't change my view - it doesn't take many follow-ups to
see that reading responses prior to the piece they are replying to would
cause more confusion and makes nil sense. You carry on how you wish, of
course, but don't expect everyone to see your posts, or respond to them.

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old June 10th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 Jun 2005 16:14, "SteveB" [email protected] wrote:

I've made an exception in your case and done it on a short post.

It also means you don't need to acknowledge the reason why I posted.
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 10th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:14:25 +0100, "SteveB"
[email protected] wrote:

I prefer to delete if the previous
post is long, it's neater, but I've made an exception in your case and done
it on a short post.

thereby leaving your comment without context and similar to observing
a nutter shouting at a wall.

Phil

Old June 10th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 Jun 2005 17:00, Phil Thompson wrote:

similar to observing a nutter shouting at a wall.

LOL. Just reminded me of the area where I previously lived. Not quite
a nutter, just a religious zealot (or gang of them) who congregated at a
T-junction (fortunately they were on the opposite side of the road) each
Saturday morning, and shouted their thoughts to anyone who might care to
listen. Oh, OK, then... perhaps they were all nutters :-) Peter M.
Old June 11th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

If someone writes you a snail mail letter in reply, your letter isn't at the
top is it? About all you might have got was a quote re. 'Your letter of
01/01/05' or something. That's the system that worked for a few hundred
years with no one complaining.

I've now changed the defaults on my news client so it never quotes the
company excluded of course.