DSL jargon

Old June 11th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default DSL jargon

Just moved from a 2mb Telewest Cable connection to 2mb(upgradeable to 4mb)
ADSL with Plusnet.

Transition went fine and I'm happy with networks, etc. Could anyone point me
to a site that explains all the 'technical' stuff about ADSL modem i.e. what
SNR levels, Line attenuation mean and what to expect.

Clive

Old June 11th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 11 Jun 2005 09:39, "Clive" wrote:

Could anyone point me to a site that explains all the 'technical' stuff
about ADSL modem i.e. what SNR levels, Line attenuation mean and what
to expect.

I don't know if it covers everything, but www.ADSLguide.org is a good
place to start. As for the attenuation and SNR, so long as the first
is below 60 and the second is above 6, things should be fine.

What to 'expect' is difficult, as it will depend on the length, losses,
and composition (copper, aluminium) of the line from the exchange, and
unless you are later on wanting higher and higher speeds, should not be
too much to worry about, though taking a note of the readings from time
to time (and a note of recent weather) might give you some background
for any engineering queries if service goes downhill over a couple of
years... Checking the settings is likely to only be needed when some
request is turned down, or a problem has been noticed. Have fun on PN!

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 11th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:39:34 +0100, "Clive"
wrote:

i.e. what
SNR levels, Line attenuation mean and what to expect.

Line attenuation is signal loss from the exchange to you, should be 43
dB or less for your 2M service.

SNR or signal to noise ratio is the difference between received signal
in dB and noise in dB. Its usally expressed as a "margin" ie the
amount of SNR in excess of the minimum for the speed you are on. This
should be 6 or more for a reasonably reliable connection.

If you want to go to 4M when IPstream HomeMAX comes along, or an LLU
alternative, then you will need at least 12 dB of margin now and
ideally 15

Phil

Old June 11th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

Clive wrote:
Just moved from a 2mb Telewest Cable connection to 2mb(upgradeable to 4mb)
ADSL with Plusnet.

"upgadeable to 4mb" There's one born every minute
Old June 11th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"tim" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Clive wrote:
Just moved from a 2mb Telewest Cable connection to 2mb(upgradeable to
4mb) ADSL with Plusnet.

"upgadeable to 4mb" There's one born every minute

Thanks guys for the answers

PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 4Mb - thats what I've signed up for.

SNR 19.2 (down) 30 (up)
Line 63.4 (down) 23 (up)

Using Plusnet speedtest I'm getting 1870kbps

Clive

Old June 11th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

Clive wrote:

Line 63.4 (down) 23 (up)

That downstream attenuation is very high. Try plugging your modem into
the test socket, without any other telephones plugged in. If its high
because of line length, you'll be lucky to get 4mb even if it becomes
available
Old June 11th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:06:59 +0100, "Clive"
wrote:

Line 63.4 (down)

63.4 attenuation at 2M with a decent margin - you're either very lucky
or the stats are bull****. That's outside BT's (conservative) limit
for 1M.

Phil

Old June 11th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

tim wrote:
Clive wrote:

Line 63.4 (down) 23 (up)

That downstream attenuation is very high. Try plugging your modem into
the test socket, without any other telephones plugged in. If its high
because of line length, you'll be lucky to get 4mb even if it becomes
available

TBH, I'm surprised the line was provided at 2MB if those figures are
accurate. It may be worth you raising a ticket on your account so we can
woosh the line.

Kind Regards,

Old June 11th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
tim wrote:
Clive wrote:

Line 63.4 (down) 23 (up)

That downstream attenuation is very high. Try plugging your modem into
the test socket, without any other telephones plugged in. If its high
because of line length, you'll be lucky to get 4mb even if it becomes
available

TBH, I'm surprised the line was provided at 2MB if those figures are
accurate. It may be worth you raising a ticket on your account so we can
woosh the line.

Kind Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net

Thanks for the info - I've removed everything from tel line (1 phone and sky
box) and only device is the (supplied BT) filter - straight into the main
socket in my house, no extensions/adaptors, just the RJ11 lead supplied with
my ADSL modem.

I've also re-checked speedtest. Would my connection speed ok if I have such
a high downstream attenuation as 63.4?

Clive

Old June 11th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:39:42 +0100, "Clive"
wrote:

I've also re-checked speedtest. Would my connection speed ok if I have such
a high downstream attenuation as 63.4?

yes because the margin is good and that's what matters.

Personally I think your stats are suspect, Dlink kit for example often
gives out wrong numbers. A firmware update may help, or if it has a
CLI they are more reliable than web interfaces - what is the kit ?

If the attenuation is right you must be in a very low interference
area.

Phil