ADSL and Caller ID

Old June 11th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default ADSL and Caller ID

Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID phone
(number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info. I also have a BT DECT phone with
caller ID (number only) that still shows incoming numbers.

Are some Caller ID phones NOT compatible with ADSL?

Thanks

Clive

Old June 11th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Clive" wrote in message
Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID phone
(number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info.

Happened with me too, but I had BT Highway, so they had to 'remove' all
three lines then re-install the main one ... they forgot to reinstall the
CallerID thingy.

Have you called BT??

--

J B

Old June 11th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pilbs

"J B" wrote in message
"Clive" wrote in message
Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID
phone (number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info.

Happened with me too, but I had BT Highway, so they had to 'remove' all
three lines then re-install the main one ... they forgot to reinstall the
CallerID thingy.

Have you called BT??

--

J B

He said "I also have a BT DECT phone with caller ID (number only) that still
shows incoming numbers."

Old June 11th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID
phone (number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info. I also have a BT DECT phone
with caller ID (number only) that still shows incoming numbers.

Are some Caller ID phones NOT compatible with ADSL?

Problem can be crappy filters. Try a better one.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old June 11th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Clive" wrote in message
Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID phone
(number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info.

happened to me, about 1 month after having ADSL installed. BT were very
unhelpful. Then someone on this newsgroup suggested I fully recharge the
phone's two AAA batteries in a regular battery charger.

Don't ask me why, but it worked! Caller ID came back and has never gone
away!

-halli-

Old June 11th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"-halli-" wrote in message

"Clive" wrote in message
Before I had ADSL activated on my line my Cable & Wireless Caller ID
phone
(number&name) worked fine.

Since ADSL It's showing no caller info.

happened to me, about 1 month after having ADSL installed. BT were very
unhelpful. Then someone on this newsgroup suggested I fully recharge the
phone's two AAA batteries in a regular battery charger.

Don't ask me why, but it worked! Caller ID came back and has never gone
away!

-halli-

My DECT phone IS showing caller ID. Must be a compatibility problem with the
Cable & Wireless phone (standard Caller ID phone - not DECT/portable). Both
my filters are BT ones.

BT did say they would reset thing, but I'm convinced it must be the phone.

Thanks

Clive

Old June 11th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Almost certainly a filter problem. If you can borrow some try substituting
them. Don't use the cheap and rubbishy T shaped ones.
--
Peter Crosland

Old June 11th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Pilbs" wrote in message

He said "I also have a BT DECT phone with caller ID (number only) that
still shows incoming numbers."

Doh! Sorry. Anyway, mine didn't work in the office for the first day, but
it was Ok after that!

--

J B

Old June 11th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Almost certainly a filter problem. If you can borrow some try substituting
them. Don't use the cheap and rubbishy T shaped ones.
--
Peter Crosland

This is clearly a real problem, too many people have commented on it here,
but this is the bit I can't fathom;

How come Caller Display (V23 1200Baud) fails to work behind an ADSL filter,
but a V90 modem will?

I would have thought the former was a far more robust signalling system.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 12th 05, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Graham" writes:

This is clearly a real problem, too many people have commented on it here,
but this is the bit I can't fathom;

Some callerid phones seem to be very marginal on working,
even without ADSL on the line. Some callerid circuits seem
to be susceptable to wrong line polarity, which might be
worth checking. Some battery powered callerid devices seem
to stop working as batteries wear, but long before they
are reported as having failed. I think the most reliable
callerid devices I've used are the CD50's, which were the
first devices BT shipped some 10 years go (although they
do also have the battery problem). I have one I hacked
many years ago, to send the data to a PC serial port,
which worked much more reliably than any of the callerid
modems.

How come Caller Display (V23 1200Baud) fails to work behind an ADSL filter,
but a V90 modem will?

I would have thought the former was a far more robust signalling system.

Not really -- no error correction for starters. The data
contains a checksum, but there's no way to request it again
if it arrives corrupt. Also, the line conditions are quite
different -- caller display is sent in the on-hook state.
However, I suspect it mostly boils down the the quality of
the receiver/decoder. People have put lots of effort into
high speed modem design over the last 10+ years. No one is
going to have put much thought into enhancing/improving
V.23 implementations for some 25 years now.

--
Andrew Gabriel