VPN client access through a router

Old June 12th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default VPN client access through a router

Am I right in thinking that most/all broadband firewall routers can pass VPN
traffic (possibly with specific ports needing to be opened in the firewall)
so that a VPN client on a "private LAN" PC can access a VPN endpoint on a
company's server?

I know that the ability of a router to act as a VPN endpoint (eg into a
company LAN) is a feature that not all routers have, but nothing special is
needed for passing client traffic, is it?

Old June 12th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Martin Underwood" wrote in news:42ac1c0e$0$41922
:

nothing special is
needed for passing client traffic, is it?

We had a lot of trouble getting a Netgear VPN to work with the client
behind a NAT. Their silly software is so confusing that we chucked the
box and got a better one that you can just set up a Windows VPN with.
So it partially depends upon what hardware/software is being used.

Our current setup requires no port forwarding at the client end but there
are configurations which might require a router with a VPN pass through
feature.

--
Colin
Old June 12th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

I have Linksys WAG54 wireless router & can confirm I can aCcess my
companies server \vpn, via some Equant software.

It does diasble my magic mail monitor unfortunately; and will only
reactivay=te when vpn disconnected.

Old June 12th 05, 03:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

I have Linksys WAG54 wireless router & can confirm I can access my
companies server through a vpn, via some Equant software.

It does diasble my magic mail monitor unfortunately; and will only
reactivate when vpn disconnected.

Old June 12th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Robert

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that most/all broadband firewall routers can pass
VPN traffic (possibly with specific ports needing to be opened in the
firewall) so that a VPN client on a "private LAN" PC can access a VPN
endpoint on a company's server?

I know that the ability of a router to act as a VPN endpoint (eg into a
company LAN) is a feature that not all routers have, but nothing special
is needed for passing client traffic, is it?

I have a netgear DG834G it can be used to pass VPN.

However on my original release of the firmware this facility didn't work. My
second release of firmware it worked but the router froze up every few hours
and needed to be powered on and off. With my third release of firmware VPN
works and no freezes. It could have been easier but at least it had a happy
ending.

I think the previous firmware versions were 1.03 1.04. My good current
version is 1.05.00.