Tiscali broadband wireless

Old June 13th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Tiscali broadband wireless

OK, I have read posts and I'm a bit confused.

I currently have the normal broadband 1MB from Tiscali. Did not
actually realise it was USB until it was too late, otherwise I'd be up
and running by now.

Q1 - do I really need those filters on every phone point? I have 4
points but only 2 filters, installed at the two phones I use the most.
And will I still need them if I go wireless?

Q2 - what is the best way to go wireless with Tiscali? I have a laptop
with an ethernet port and two PCMCIA slots. I was thinking of getting
a PCMCIA wireless card for it and then just a wireless access point (or
do I need a router?) that has a USB connection for the modem from
Tiscali. I have also read that if I use a router I can get rid of the
USB modem altogether and this will give me an always-on connection. Is
this true?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Mike

Old June 13th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wolf

wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, I have read posts and I'm a bit confused.

I currently have the normal broadband 1MB from Tiscali. Did not
actually realise it was USB until it was too late, otherwise I'd be up
and running by now.

Q1 - do I really need those filters on every phone point? I have 4
points but only 2 filters, installed at the two phones I use the most.
And will I still need them if I go wireless?

yes you need them at every phone or fax point regardless.

Q2 - what is the best way to go wireless with Tiscali? I have a laptop
with an ethernet port and two PCMCIA slots. I was thinking of getting
a PCMCIA wireless card for it and then just a wireless access point (or
do I need a router?) that has a USB connection for the modem from
Tiscali. I have also read that if I use a router I can get rid of the
USB modem altogether and this will give me an always-on connection. Is
this true?

My set up is wireless with a PCMCIA on my laptop and a wireless card on the
pc.

i have a wireless combined router modem all worked out of the box and has
done from when i installed 6 months ago.
http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/car100 currently at a not to bad a price but i'm
sure someone else will say different or recommend some other kit.

This gives always on connection and allows both pc and laptop to access the
internet at the same time if required.

bin the as supplied usb modem or sell if someone is stupid enough to buy.

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Mike

Old June 13th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ray

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your post isn't very clear to me. What are you tyring to acheive?

I advise you to buy a Netgear DG834G (ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless all in one
box and then add a PCMCIA or USB wireless adapter to the laptop.

Old June 13th 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Q1 - do I really need those filters on every phone point? I have 4
points but only 2 filters, installed at the two phones I use the most.
And will I still need them if I go wireless?

yes you need them at every phone or fax point regardless.

It is true that a filter at every phone point is the way most installations
are arranged, and they usually work satisfactorily that way, but as a
definitive statement the above is not correct.

What it should say is each phone socket should be wired through a filter,
which is not quite the same as the above.

A single strategically placed filter or filtered faceplate will suffice for
any installation, although some re-wiring may be necessary.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 15th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I want a wireless solution for my laptop and I don't want to have to
'dial' everytime I want to connect to the Internet. I want to be able
to switch the laptop on and by the time it boots I'm already connected.
Just like cable broadband.

I don't particularly want anything fancy, but it sound like I will need
a wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop and an ADSL router/modem solution.

I'm also not sure whether it's worth paying extra for 802.11g, as
opposed to 802.11b, if my connection is, and will be for a while, 1MB,
but anyhow I thought I'd go for the Linksys WAG54G (£55) and WPC54G
(£26). What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

Old June 16th 05, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

I would suggest D-Link 904 bundle might be a better solution.
You get an USB 'dongle' and USB cable with stand for the 'dongle'.
At home you may not get the best signal where you want to use your laptop,
so placing it at the end of the USB cable allows finding a best spot for
signal strength,
often half an inch can make a difference.
When 'on the road' you just plug it in directly in to the laptop.
Furthermore is just £69.99 from PC World / Dixon and even cheaper from
online stores
brodbandbuyer.co.uk £60.81 + p&p.
I have installed one for a friend and it works just fine.
Alternatively the 902 bundle has PCMCIA card for £5 more.

While the 11Mb/s kit is fast enough, I don't think anyone is still selling
new ones,
but you could find plenty on Ebay.
Regards,
Martin
PS I have Draytek Vigor 2600We and Vigor 520 PCMCIA (both 11Mb/s) which I
expect to sell on Ebay for £100+, but my email is martin at gsoft dot
freeserve.co.uk if you are interested.

Old June 20th 05, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the suggestions

Mike