Router advice for P2P

Old June 13th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

Default Router advice for P2P

My current router, Netgear DG 834 v1, firmware 2.10.17 (beta) seems to
choke on prolonged P2P sessions. The d/l speed drops and a quick
disconnect/connect gets things back to speed again.

Does anybody know of a outer that does not exhibit this behaviour?

TIA.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 13th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

My current router, Netgear DG 834 v1, firmware 2.10.17 (beta) seems to
choke on prolonged P2P sessions. The d/l speed drops and a quick
disconnect/connect gets things back to speed again.

Does anybody know of a outer that does not exhibit this behaviour?

Are you sure its not Zen throttling you're your bandw.. Hmm
I mean download speed after the 50'th ISO?
Perhaps when you reconnect, you get a different IP and Zen are tracking IP
instead of customer login.

Actually I am not at all convinced myself with that, but it's the best I
could come up with.

How ya dooin Guy?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 13th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blackmesa8

Im with zen and they DO NOT CAP OR THROTTLE IN ANY WAY,
I know this for a fact last month i did over 88gb and nothing happened plus
zen only do static ip's so that new ip theory is bull. I can garantee you
its not zen causing it, it prolly is your router choking mate as for a
better one i cant help sorry. I use a D link ethernet modem not a router.
hope at least the re assurance that its not zen helps.
blackmesa8

Old June 13th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

Perhaps when you reconnect, you get a different IP and Zen are tracking IP
instead of customer login.

Nope, all Zen ADSL accounts have static IP addresses.

In answer to the original question, my Cisco 837 has no problems with
shed loads of P2P traffic going through it.

~P.
Old June 13th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dr Teeth wrote:
My current router, Netgear DG 834 v1, firmware 2.10.17 (beta) seems to
choke on prolonged P2P sessions. The d/l speed drops and a quick
disconnect/connect gets things back to speed again.

Does anybody know of a outer that does not exhibit this behaviour?

Try some of the earlier beta firmware releases.

I had a similar problem (in fact the darn thing was completely rebooting
itself at around the 36 hours mark) which was fixed by an earlier version.

Sorry but I upgraded (well maybe, it's yet to be proven) to a Draytek 2600g
so I can't be more specific but I will be putting the Netgear back in if the
Draytek doesn't work out (seems a little unsteady occaisionally)

Old June 14th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:39:10 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Actually I am not at all convinced myself with that, but it's the best I
could come up with.

How ya dooin Guy?

Hi Graham,

Doing fine, thanks. Actually, these days surviving is fine... g.

Positive it's the router...for reasons that others have posted.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 14th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:41:14 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

Try some of the earlier beta firmware releases.

The schedule site blocking function is fecked on *all* the earlier
betas...have to keep my kid's access under control g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 14th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:13:10 +0100, Paul Eagles
wrote:

In answer to the original question, my Cisco 837 has no problems with
shed loads of P2P traffic going through it.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 14th 05, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

(Early?) Netgear routers can't handle P2P, they screw up the routing table
and / or overheat.
Draytek Vigors are solid and reliable, not cheap though.
Regards,
Martin

Old June 14th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
My current router, Netgear DG 834 v1, firmware 2.10.17 (beta) seems to
choke on prolonged P2P sessions. The d/l speed drops and a quick
disconnect/connect gets things back to speed again.

Does anybody know of a outer that does not exhibit this behaviour?

TIA.

--
Cheers,

Guy

I use a DG834G with 2.10. firmware - nbo problems at all, runs 24/7 just
fine and has done for about 18 months now. Which P2P clients do you use, and
have you got your PC on a static IP, firewall ports open etc?