adsl...ntl?

Old June 13th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
highway

Default adsl...ntl?

Hi there have a little query

Currently have ntl phone line and ntl broadband. I want to make a switch to
adsl.
my questions

1) is it possible to get adsl on ntl? (i dont think this is true)

2) i disconnect bt, over 2 years ago, but still have the bt line is
connected to my property, so if i wanted to enable the line this would not
be difficult,
i was wondering if it is possible just to activate the bt line just for
broadband (dont want inbound/outbound calls on this) or is this not
possible?

Thank you

Old June 13th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:45:58 +0100, "highway"
wrote:

1) is it possible to get adsl on ntl? (i dont think this is true)

Not ATM, but NTL does have plans for some type of BB other than cable
IIRC.

2) i disconnect bt, over 2 years ago, but still have the bt line is
connected to my property, so if i wanted to enable the line this would not
be difficult,
i was wondering if it is possible just to activate the bt line just for
broadband (dont want inbound/outbound calls on this) or is this not
possible?

This is possible...you just don't connect a phone to it when it is
re-enabled g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 13th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

This is possible...you just don't connect a phone to it when it is
re-enabled g.

Cheers,

Guy

What Guy is of course saying, is that you will have to pay BT for what
passes as "line rental only" these days viz. BT Option 1
They will not provision ADSL on a Light User Scheme account for example.

I don't know what broadband offerings NTL have up their sleeve, but very
much doubt that they will involve the twisted pair that connects their
roadside cabinet to your phone socket.

Old June 13th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
highway

This is possible...you just don't connect a phone to it when it is
re-enabled g.

Cheers,

Guy

What Guy is of course saying, is that you will have to pay BT for what
passes as "line rental only" these days viz. BT Option 1
They will not provision ADSL on a Light User Scheme account for example.

I don't know what broadband offerings NTL have up their sleeve, but very
much doubt that they will involve the twisted pair that connects their
roadside cabinet to your phone socket.

i know what he is saying, that just makes the adsl not viable. at the
moment im paying 17.99 pm to ntl for 300K! if your a new user for 17.99
you get a 1mbit line...me thinks i will have to cancel and reconnect!

Old June 13th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 13 Jun 2005 19:45, "highway" wrote:

1) is it possible to get adsl on ntl? (i dont think this is true)

They are offering ISP service using ADSL by buying in service (like any of
another hundred ISPs) from *BT Wholesale* but if you are meaning ADSL on
a cable service from NTL, then no, that's not on offer, AFAIK...

2) ... i was wondering if it is possible just to activate the bt line ...

You will still have to pay the monthly line rental, whether you use it or
not, unfortunately. You might be in a location where Easynet or Bulldog
offer service and they can also handle the line rental, but it's still
likely to cost you a tenner a month for the line.

There's ITplc.com which charges less (but locks you into using their
service for calls, and has a 12 month contract and setup fee too, but I
really do not know if you can get ADSL service on a line from one of these
other companies, so even if the line rental is half, it might not be ideal
for what you want and needs more research, by you, perhaps.... sorry.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 13th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , highway wrote:
i know what he is saying, that just makes the adsl not viable. at the
moment im paying 17.99 pm to ntl for 300K! if your a new user for 17.99
you get a 1mbit line...me thinks i will have to cancel and reconnect!

If you're still on 300k then your automatic upgrade (which should have
happened by now) hasn't happened. Call them up and ask to move to the
1Mbps 3GB/month capped product - or if you're keen on speed then pay 24.99
for 2Mbps "virtually uncapped" (1GB/day nominal but not actively
enforced).

You will not need to cancel and reconnect.

Zane.
Old June 13th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
highway

wrote in message ...
In article , highway
wrote:
i know what he is saying, that just makes the adsl not viable. at the
moment im paying 17.99 pm to ntl for 300K! if your a new user for 17.99
you get a 1mbit line...me thinks i will have to cancel and reconnect!

If you're still on 300k then your automatic upgrade (which should have
happened by now) hasn't happened. Call them up and ask to move to the
1Mbps 3GB/month capped product - or if you're keen on speed then pay 24.99
for 2Mbps "virtually uncapped" (1GB/day nominal but not actively
enforced).

You will not need to cancel and reconnect.

Zane.

if i can cancel and reconnect i can get the 12 months for 9.99 deal...

Old June 14th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

1) is it possible to get adsl on ntl? (i dont think this is true)

AFAIK nope. Coax cable is not copper pair.

2) i disconnect bt, over 2 years ago, but still have the bt line is
connected to my property, so if i wanted to enable the line this would not
be difficult,

it will cost though!

i was wondering if it is possible just to activate the bt line just for
broadband (dont want inbound/outbound calls on this) or is this not
possible?

Nope, AFAIK BT don't do an ADSL only option. (though you can achieve
the same effect by paying line rental and then not telling anyone the
phone no, or attaching any phones....)
Old June 14th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , highway wrote:
If you're still on 300k then your automatic upgrade (which should have
happened by now) hasn't happened. Call them up and ask to move to the
1Mbps 3GB/month capped product - or if you're keen on speed then pay 24.99
for 2Mbps "virtually uncapped" (1GB/day nominal but not actively
enforced).

You will not need to cancel and reconnect.

if i can cancel and reconnect i can get the 12 months for 9.99 deal...

You may ... check first that they don't exclude returning customers, or
perhaps returning-soon customers!

Zane.