Tiscali to Plusnet - I want to move

Old June 14th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default Tiscali to Plusnet - I want to move

Ok, so I'm currently with Tiscali on their 512k package, although they were
supposed to upgrade my package to 1mbit in March, it turned out to be a
sour grapes deal that wasn't all it was cracked up to be, so I now want to
move to Plusnet as I understand they offer an Unlimited 1mb service
(something Tiscali promised me but never delivered). Whats the procedure
for doing the move? And how long do you think it will take? I will get a
second line installed if I have to, but whats the likely timespan if I have
just one line?

Geoff

Old June 14th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 14 Jun 2005 16:19, "Geoff" wrote:

Whats the procedure for doing the move?

Well, you could *ask* Tiscali for the MAC (which they seem not to care
about, because in the main, migrations from DataStream to IPStream did
not happen... You might be lucky - or not. Someone posted their URL,
quite recently, on this aspect... http://www.whowantsmigration.me.uk/

Subject: For all of you unhappy Tiscali users
From: Mike K
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:15

"Mike K" wrote in message
news
See this new site attempting to force Tiscali to support migration
http://www.whowantsmigration.me.uk/

I cannot be sure if there is now widespread support of migration taking
a line from DataStream to IPStream - but you could sign up for an 0845
account (no need to dial in, and later you can upgrade it, or choose a
new username for your ADSL service and keep the dial-up a/c as reserve
in case you dial in while away from home (so it doesn't break the ADSL
connection, as two logins with same username could)... Start a ticket
(Contact Us, on the HELP section of the web portal) and see what info
is forthcoming regarding Plus.Net accepting MAC from DataStream users

And how long do you think it will take? I will get a second line
installed if I have to, but whats the likely timespan if I have
just one line?

If you have to go through a cease of service, it will firstly depend
on how prompt Tiscali are about cancelling that with BT Wholesale. I
was 'locked' with my line having ADSL signal from the exchange, but a
fail to login (to Freeserve) for almost 3 months, because while FS did
close my account (and stop the login working) they didn't cancel ADSL.
If all goes well, it might be around 10 days - you can use the ADSL
checker to see if your line is deemed 'compatible' or not (it'd be
a clash with an existing ADSL service, if Tiscali didn't cancel it),
and once you can, put in the order to Plus.Net... Bit of a 'how long
is a piece of string' answer, I'm sorry. Good luck with PN. Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 15th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike K

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:19:05 +0100, "Geoff"
wrote:

Ok, so I'm currently with Tiscali on their 512k package, although they were
supposed to upgrade my package to 1mbit in March, it turned out to be a
sour grapes deal that wasn't all it was cracked up to be, so I now want to
move to Plusnet as I understand they offer an Unlimited 1mb service
(something Tiscali promised me but never delivered). Whats the procedure
for doing the move? And how long do you think it will take? I will get a
second line installed if I have to, but whats the likely timespan if I have
just one line?

Geoff

I wish you luck, Geoff, and with Tiscali it is probably very likely
that you will need it! If you read websites such as www.adsl.org.uk or
www.ispreview.co.uk and check out their forums/message boards together
with reviews and comparisons of ISPs then you will see that Tiscali
are just about the most incompetent and complained about ISP in the
UK. There are numerous accounts there of the problems and difficulties
that people have had with them when going down the cease and reprovide
route of getting a new ISP. They regularly fail to get BT to take
their marker off the ADSL line and you can end up with having no net
access for lengthy periods. In fact BBC2's Business Lunch programme
recently highlighted this some weeks ago. Tiscali's response was that
this was a "one off occurrence". Reading the above sites will suggest
that the contrary is true.

I recently found this site mentioned on the above site's message
boards: http://www.whowantsmigration.me.uk/ and it is an attempt to
force Tiscali to adopt migration. While migration used to be not
possible from Datastream providers like Tiscali to the more popular
IPStream providers, BTWholesale ran a trial in May and as of the
beginning of June made it more widely available. Whether Tiscali will
adopt it or not remains to be seen.

For myself I have been trying to resolve complaints with Tiscali
through their official complaints system with little success. They
simply ignore phone calls/EMails etc. I'm now taking their lack of
as they seem to be relatively toothless. I'm not seeking any financial
redress, but rather that the regulator oblige Tiscali to offer
migration, so that I and I would guess many 1000s of others can leave
them easily. To do anything else is basically anti competetive and
against customer choice.

I'd rather be with Freedom2Surf or Zen Internet. They both seem to get
exceptionally good reviews/feedback.

Regards

Mike K
Old June 15th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike K

wrote:

Ok, so I'm currently with Tiscali on their 512k package, although they were
supposed to upgrade my package to 1mbit in March, it turned out to be a
sour grapes deal that wasn't all it was cracked up to be, so I now want to
move to Plusnet as I understand they offer an Unlimited 1mb service
(something Tiscali promised me but never delivered). Whats the procedure
for doing the move? And how long do you think it will take? I will get a
second line installed if I have to, but whats the likely timespan if I have
just one line?

Geoff

An update for you, Geoff.
This was posted in Tiscali Forums by Mr Tibbs (Tiscali forum
moderator) at 3:21 pm 14June 2005.

Migration Update:

Tiscali do expect to offer a migration service soon after BT's June
announcement, so hopefully this situation will be resolved very soon.
This means that instead of the several weeks that you currently have
to wait, due to Tiscali using BT's Datastream service, the switch
should be able to be made with about 30 minutes outage.

I'll post more news as soon as I have it.

__________________
Today I will be mainly acting like a prat in a frilly blouse

Looks like all us unhappy Tiscali users may now be able to get out
"painlessly".

Regards

Mike K
Old June 15th 05, 02:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

[...]

And we are also working to provide this opportunity. Datastream to
IPStream migrations are possible at the moment although we haven't an
official line on this yet. Ultimately it still depends on Tiscali's
ability to provide you with a MAC key.

Kind Regards,

Old June 15th 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

:
: And we are also working to provide this opportunity. Datastream to
: IPStream migrations are possible at the moment although we haven't an
: official line on this yet. Ultimately it still depends on Tiscali's
: ability to provide you with a MAC key.
:
: Kind Regards,
:
: --
: |Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
: |Support Home & Business @
: |PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
: +------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! -----

Myself and I feel many other will leave Tiscali when we are able to migrate
to other suppliers.Tiscali only have their self to blame with the very poor
customer service,Tiscali are Ok until something go wrong.That's when all the
problem start,I wont repete what you all already know!

Chris

Waiting to migrate.....

kick-butt.co.uk