Do I block access from svchost to DHCP?

Old June 14th 05, 08:46 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.misc,alt.computer.security
Michael J. Pelletier

Default Do I block access from svchost to DHCP?

Mister C wrote:

From time to time I get this message from my Sygate firewall.
Should I let this program through?

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)
is trying to connect to [62.255.64.20] using remote
port 67 (BOOTPS - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
[DHCP] Server). Do you want to allow this program to
access the network?"

This is my setup:

1. I use WinXP + SP1 at home.
2. My broadband ISP is NTL Cable
3. I connect direct to my ISP am am not part of a network.
4. I have disabled XP's firewall and use only Sygate firewall.

To my untutored eye it seems like a good thing to allow this and let
svchost on PC communicate with what I think is my ISP's DHCP server.

However this web page says I should completely block svchost.exe in
Sygate. http://www.howtodothings.com/ViewArt...spx?Article=51

Who is right?

It sounds like this is you dhcp client. I would not advise blocking that!

Michael