Do I block access from svchost to DHCP?

Old June 14th 05, 09:22 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Richards

Default Do I block access from svchost to DHCP?

Mister C wrote:
From time to time I get this message from my Sygate firewall.
Should I let this program through?

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)
is trying to connect to [62.255.64.20] using remote
port 67 (BOOTPS - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
[DHCP] Server). Do you want to allow this program to
access the network?"

62.255.64.20 is an NTL DHCP server, so this is completely normal and
should be allowed. If you block it, your PC may have difficulty
obtaining or renewing a DHCP lease, which will cause you to lose your
internet connection.

This is my setup:

1. I use WinXP + SP1 at home.

You're pretty behind with your security updates. I'd highly recommend
you head over to Windows Update asap.

However this web page says I should completely block svchost.exe in
Sygate. http://www.howtodothings.com/ViewArt...spx?Article=51

That website doesn't appear to exist at the moment, but if it's
suggesting you block svchost.exe from contacting your DHCP server then
it would seem to be talking ********.