AOL and configuring a Router

Old June 16th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default AOL and configuring a Router

I was called into a friends home to get his router up and running having
decided to sensibly to ditch his USB ADSL modem.

Not sure of the precise settings to use in the router for AOL, a call to their
help desk proved particularly frustrating with virtually no advice being given
for the generic settings to use. A typical response being that routers were
not supported and that the manufacturer should be consulted on the matter; as
if the manufacturer would actually know the answer to that question!

I therefore had to resort to trail and error to get the connection going
although my friend who is an avid AOLer has decided to ditch them in favour of
a decent ISP - I have steered him away from those I personally dislike.

Subscequently I have received the 'official' AOL help on this matter I am
happy to reproduce the information here to avoid others suffering the same
pain that we endured with the AOL help desk. However, my advice would always
be to AOL users to switch to another ISP.

David Bradley

Dear Member,

Thank you for contacting AOL. Did you know that you could find answers to many
AOL questions at AOL Keyword: Help? To access any AOL Keyword, just type it
into the browser address bar at the top of your AOL desktop. Advice on using
the Internet, email, technical and security issues, and billing information -
including changing your account details online - are all available 24 hours a
day.

Following our telephone conversation, I am sending you AOL essential
information for your Unsupported Broadband Router that will be using your AOL
Broadband Connection,

Generic Router Settings
AOL now supports the use of ADSL router on your Broadband connection, which
allows the sharing of a single DSL line simultaneously between multiple
computers.

AOL can provide no further assistance or support while you are setting up or
troubleshooting any issues you may have with your broadband router, apart from
the settings listed below.

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that
govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware setup
you have, the method for entering these details will differ. However it is
likely you will be prompted to enter them during the installation of your
router.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details
for you, so it is possible that you will not be prompted for them at all. In
other cases the naming of the options will be different so it is advised that
if you have problems, please refer to the documentation included with your DSL
router. Below are all the essential settings that AOL use to setup Broadband
Routers.

Depending on your router some of these settings may be named differently,
please consult your routers documentation if your require assistance when
setting it up.

Settings:
Connection Protocol: PPPoA (VCMUX or VCBASED)
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
(VPI/VCI): 0,38
Authentication: CHAP

The Following settings are set to automatic or get automatically from ISP,
On some routers you may have to leave these fields blank:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit): 1400
MRU (Maximum Receive Unit): 1400

Username: your
Password: your password

Important Information about your username/password settings:
Screen Name Information:
We recommend that you create a new Screen Name which your router can use to
connect to AOL - because if you use an existing Screen Name from another
location, your router will lose its connection to AOL.

When entering your screen name/username on your router it must follow the four
rules below:
1. You must enter your Screen Name in lowercase letters
2. Your Screen Name must be in the format of your AOL e-mail address, i.e.:
your

3. Your Screen Name must not contain any spaces
4. The Screen Name must have General (18+) Parental Controls access (not
Mature Teen, Young Teen or Kids Only)

Please note that the new Screen Name you create should use a password that
follows the three rules in the next section.

Password Information:
When entering your password on your router it must follow the three rules
below:
1. The password must be between Six to Eight characters long (i.e.: if it has
nine characters you will need to change it)
2. The password must consist of letters and numbers only (i.e. no special
characters, such as ! ? % and spaces).
3. The password must be all lower case (no CAPITALS allowed).

Wireless Setup:
If you require assistance setting up wireless on your router please consult
the documentation that came with your router otherwise contact the
manufacturer.

Kind Regards,
AOL Tech Support

Old June 16th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[-=Dan=-]

"David Bradley" wrote in message

I was called into a friends home to get his router up and running having
decided to sensibly to ditch his USB ADSL modem.

Thanks for that. I have a feeling I may be doing the same thing for a friend
soon, and I was slightly worried that I may need to contact some form of AOL
support! I'll keep your post handy.

Dan

Old June 16th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Carter

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:58:41 +0100, "[-=Dan=-]"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .

I was called into a friends home to get his router up and running having
decided to sensibly to ditch his USB ADSL modem.

Thanks for that. I have a feeling I may be doing the same thing for a friend
soon, and I was slightly worried that I may need to contact some form of AOL
support! I'll keep your post handy.

Dan

Dan

AOL do support routers, but only the very restricted range that is on
their list. Whatever you do, make sure that your friend uses one on
the list, otherwise, he/you will eother have to disconnect it and plug
the modem back in before AOL' support' will talk to you. Which kind
of kills the point.

Don
Old June 16th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[-=Dan=-]

wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
. ..

I was called into a friends home to get his router up and running having
decided to sensibly to ditch his USB ADSL modem.

Thanks for that. I have a feeling I may be doing the same thing for a
friend
soon, and I was slightly worried that I may need to contact some form of
AOL
support! I'll keep your post handy.

Dan

Dan

AOL do support routers, but only the very restricted range that is on
their list. Whatever you do, make sure that your friend uses one on
the list, otherwise, he/you will eother have to disconnect it and plug
the modem back in before AOL' support' will talk to you. Which kind
of kills the point.

Don

Ah I see. It'll probably be a Netgear DG834, do you know if that's on the
list? Might be easier to get him to change ISP's!

Old June 16th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

[-=Dan=-] wrote:

: Ah I see. It'll probably be a Netgear DG834, do you know if that's on the
: list? Might be easier to get him to change ISP's!

I can contribute that the DG834 is pretty well bound to be on their list
as Dixon's are selling an official AOL "all in a box" kit which includes
the wireless version of this router (the DG834G).
Old June 16th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Ah I see. It'll probably be a Netgear DG834, do you know if that's on the
list? Might be easier to get him to change ISP's!

Theres quite a bit of info on the web with regard to AOL and routers. I
have been looking because I am about to do the same for a friend.

Dave

Old June 16th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David Bradley wrote:

[...]

On reading that lot, I decided that it just *had* to be written by American
Defense Secretary Rumsfeld - just after he had said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to
me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we
know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there
are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the
ones we don't know we don't know."
Cheers,
Tim
______