Keeping BT e-mail addresses after moving ADSL provider

Old June 16th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Default Keeping BT e-mail addresses after moving ADSL provider

I want to move from BT Yahoo Broadband (cos' it's too dear) to either
PlusNet or maybe a Onetel calls/internet bundle.
However, I want to keep my ...btopenworld.com e-mail addresses for a
little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one.

I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new
ISP take over the broadband, but...

Will BT go for this?
Has anyone else done it?
In what order would you recommend doing things? i.e.
1. If I advise Plus to go ahead and migrate inwards, won't BT cancel my
e-mail addresses before I get chance to stop them?
2. If I advise BT to downgrade to dial-up first, might I lose ADSL for
some time and possibly make migration slower and costlier?

Best,
Alan

Old June 16th 05, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[-=Dan=-]

"AJH" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to move from BT Yahoo Broadband (cos' it's too dear) to either
PlusNet or maybe a Onetel calls/internet bundle.
However, I want to keep my ...btopenworld.com e-mail addresses for a
little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one.

I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new
ISP take over the broadband, but...

Will BT go for this?
Has anyone else done it?
In what order would you recommend doing things? i.e.
1. If I advise Plus to go ahead and migrate inwards, won't BT cancel my
e-mail addresses before I get chance to stop them?
2. If I advise BT to downgrade to dial-up first, might I lose ADSL for
some time and possibly make migration slower and costlier?

Best,
Alan

I doubt BT will let you keep that email address unless you keep on paying
them money. Why not register a domain? I did this years ago, and if I change
ISP's I just keep changing where my domain emails get forwarded to! And it
hardly costs anything these days...

Old June 16th 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 16 Jun 2005 07:35:55 -0700, "AJH" wrote:

little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one.

I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new
ISP take over the broadband, but...

Will BT go for this?

they have separated out the mail from the other services in any case,
so there is no issue.

see http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/basicmail follow the "change product"
link.

you don't need to have a dialup account for this either.

Phil
Old June 16th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"AJH" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to move from BT Yahoo Broadband (cos' it's too dear) to either
PlusNet or maybe a Onetel calls/internet bundle.
However, I want to keep my ...btopenworld.com e-mail addresses for a
little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one.

I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new
ISP take over the broadband, but...

Will BT go for this?
Has anyone else done it?
In what order would you recommend doing things? i.e.
1. If I advise Plus to go ahead and migrate inwards, won't BT cancel my
e-mail addresses before I get chance to stop them?
2. If I advise BT to downgrade to dial-up first, might I lose ADSL for
some time and possibly make migration slower and costlier?

Best,
Alan

I've changed broadband ISPs twice in the past (BT-Virgin-Plusnet).
I could read emails from my old ISPs using the new connection but had to dial in to
send emails through them. Both BT and Virgin changed my accounts from ADSL to dial up
as I left.

I cannot guarantee this will happen to you, but it's a way of keeping their hooks
into you just in case you're unhappy where you move to.

When you migrate, you should be given a changeover day. You should be able to use all
the old ISP facilities up to the changeover point.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old June 16th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Liam

If not you just change the outgoing mail server to the new smtp of your new
isp

Ive changed ISP about 5 times and ususaly the email works for 90days after

Liam

"Eric Parker" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old June 17th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Phil Thompson wrote:
see http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/basicmail follow the "change product"
link.

Great spot! I'll look into this...
Thanks, Alan

Old June 17th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Liam wrote:
If not you just change the outgoing mail server to the new smtp of your new
isp

Yes, I have a Onetel account and have no problems sending
"...Onetel.com" e-mail thru the BT smtp server. I'm planning to do the
same for a while after migration to Plus or whoever.

Old June 17th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Eric Parker wrote:
I've changed broadband ISPs twice in the past (BT-Virgin-Plusnet).
I could read emails from my old ISPs using the new connection but had to dial in to
send emails through them. Both BT and Virgin changed my accounts from ADSL to dial up
as I left.

Good, I'll probably do it then.
What order did you do things in? Did you just tell Virgin to take over?

Old June 22nd 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Further info.
BT have promised me my BT-Yahoo broadband account will become PAYG
dial-up on cancellation. I advised them I wished to move away and
received a MAC key.
I then signed-up online today with Plus Net using this key (and setting
a date nearly a month ahead, a few days before my next payment to BT so
I'm not paying twice for any great time).
We'll see what happens!

I can use my Plus Net account on dialup immediately, it seems, so I can
tell everyone my new e-mail address now. Also I can set a redirect and
"away" message on my old BT e-mails so this should go swimmingly. :-P
Alan

Old June 22nd 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"AJH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Further info.
BT have promised me my BT-Yahoo broadband account will become PAYG
dial-up on cancellation. I advised them I wished to move away and
received a MAC key.
I then signed-up online today with Plus Net using this key (and setting
a date nearly a month ahead, a few days before my next payment to BT so
I'm not paying twice for any great time).
We'll see what happens!

I can use my Plus Net account on dialup immediately, it seems, so I can
tell everyone my new e-mail address now. Also I can set a redirect and
"away" message on my old BT e-mails so this should go swimmingly. :-P
Alan

Hope it all goes well with the changeover.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly