2.2 meg connection

Old June 16th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Aosmosis

Default 2.2 meg connection

I recently upgraded to a 1 meg connection.
When I connect using my PCI ADSL modem it says connected at 2.2Mbps.

When I got an email saying that I was upgraded, I used the speed test
utility , and I got a rate of 2057 kbps .

A few days later it hovers between 950-1250kbps

what gives?

Thought I got a real bargain there.

Old June 16th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

Aosmosis wrote:
I recently upgraded to a 1 meg connection.
When I connect using my PCI ADSL modem it says connected at 2.2Mbps.

When I got an email saying that I was upgraded, I used the speed test
utility , and I got a rate of 2057 kbps .

A few days later it hovers between 950-1250kbps

what gives?

Thought I got a real bargain there.

It just means that your ISP have put you onto a 2Mbit line then limited
you their end to 1Mbit. The reason you initially had 2Mbit available
was that BT did their stuff, but your ISP hadn't put the rate limiting on.

If you do decide to upgrade to 2Mbit in the future then there will be no
waiting for BT to do things, your ISP just need to remove the rate
limiting which, in theory, means it'll be quicker and cheaper (ie, free)
for you to upgrade.

~P.
Old June 17th 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tân Coul

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:54:49 +0100, Paul Eagles
opined, with wit and/or wisdom,:

It just means that your ISP have put you onto a 2Mbit line then limited
you their end to 1Mbit. The reason you initially had 2Mbit available
was that BT did their stuff, but your ISP hadn't put the rate limiting on.

If you do decide to upgrade to 2Mbit in the future then there will be no
waiting for BT to do things, your ISP just need to remove the rate
limiting which, in theory, means it'll be quicker and cheaper (ie, free)
for you to upgrade.

You'd think... I'm on a 2Mb Pipex line capped at 1Mb, and when I
checked my upgrade options I found it would cost another £15 to get
the cap removed, in addition to the extra £10 a month for the 2Mb
service (I did just try to check this was still the case, but got a
message "Unfortunately, we were unable to retrieve details for your
account.
The most likely cause for this is that your account has not yet fully
completed the provisioning stage. Please allow a few more days, then
try again." Only been with them since February 2002, so I suppose
this is quite reasonable...)

--
Dreams are like water
Colourless
Old June 17th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

You'd think... I'm on a 2Mb Pipex line capped at 1Mb, and when I
checked my upgrade options I found it would cost another £15 to get
the cap removed, in addition to the extra £10 a month for the 2Mb
service (I did just try to check this was still the case, but got a
message "Unfortunately, we were unable to retrieve details for your
account.

Hence I said that "in theory" it would be cheaper/free.
Old June 17th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tân Coul

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:20:27 +0100, Paul Eagles
opined, with wit and/or wisdom,:

You'd think... I'm on a 2Mb Pipex line capped at 1Mb, and when I
checked my upgrade options I found it would cost another £15 to get
the cap removed, in addition to the extra £10 a month for the 2Mb
service (I did just try to check this was still the case, but got a
message "Unfortunately, we were unable to retrieve details for your
account.

Hence I said that "in theory" it would be cheaper/free.

I know, I was just providing an example of why it's only "in
theory"...
--
Dreams are like water
Colourless
Old June 18th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

It just means that your ISP have put you onto a 2Mbit line then limited
you their end to 1Mbit. The reason you initially had 2Mbit available was
that BT did their stuff, but your ISP hadn't put the rate limiting on.

Just been round a friends house sorting out their newly installed broadband
which from all people is supplied by Tesco's!

Usb modem too states 2.2Mbit but capped to 512K service. I am wondering if
this type of service is actually an advantage as I tested it with a few
downloads just to check actual performance from the Microsoft site and
managed to get a faster download speed than a 512K service would normally be
able to provide. Averaging around 64Kbytes/s

Steve

Old June 18th 05, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

Stevie Boy wrote:
Just been round a friends house sorting out their newly installed broadband
which from all people is supplied by Tesco's!

Usb modem too states 2.2Mbit but capped to 512K service. I am wondering if
this type of service is actually an advantage as I tested it with a few
downloads just to check actual performance from the Microsoft site and
managed to get a faster download speed than a 512K service would normally be
able to provide. Averaging around 64Kbytes/s

Steve

There shouldn't really be any difference if an ISP has throttled at a
given speed, or if the line is syncing at that speed. Ok, so the line
will always sync higher than the ISP's advertise (512Kbit lines sync at
578Kbit, 1Mbit at 1152Kbit and 2Mbit at 2272Kbit but that's just to take
into account the overheads from the ATM so in theory the customer gets
the speed they paid for - 512Kbit or whatever).

Doing the maths, 64KB/s equates to exactly 512Kbit/s which does seem a
bit high for a 512Kbit service. When yo say the download averaged
64KB/s, what did it peak at? Bear in mind that IE isn't the best tool
to use to calculate throughput.

I suppose it is possible that Tesco might be setting their rate limit
slightly higher than 512Kbit.
Old June 18th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

Doing the maths, 64KB/s equates to exactly 512Kbit/s which does seem a bit
high for a 512Kbit service. When yo say the download averaged 64KB/s,
what did it peak at? Bear in mind that IE isn't the best tool to use to
calculate throughput.

Hmm yea maybe I didn't do the best test but I downloaded a 6MB file amoung
others and got a minimum of 60.3Kb/s towards the end and started at 73Kb/s
for the first 10/15 secs.

Comparing that same file download with Zen I maxed out very briefly (2 secs)
at over 70Kb/s and quickly dropped to 61Kb/s and got a min of 57.1Kb/s. I'm
generally lucky to get any average above 58.9Kb/s

Steve

Old June 18th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:49:54 +0100, "Stevie Boy"
wrote:

Hmm yea maybe I didn't do the best test but I downloaded a 6MB file amoung
others and got a minimum of 60.3Kb/s towards the end and started at 73Kb/s
for the first 10/15 secs.

that's the browser starting the download before you press "save". You
can get a huge reported speed by waiting 10 minutes before pressing
save.

Try something more scientific like an FTP download.

Phil

Old June 18th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Paul Eagles" wrote in message
Aosmosis wrote:
I recently upgraded to a 1 meg connection.
When I connect using my PCI ADSL modem it says connected at 2.2Mbps.

When I got an email saying that I was upgraded, I used the speed test
utility , and I got a rate of 2057 kbps .

A few days later it hovers between 950-1250kbps

what gives?

Thought I got a real bargain there.

It just means that your ISP have put you onto a 2Mbit line then limited
you their end to 1Mbit. The reason you initially had 2Mbit available was
that BT did their stuff, but your ISP hadn't put the rate limiting on.

It's a good sales ploy. Some subscribers will get used to the higher speed
and find they can't live without it so pay extra to upgrade permanently.

(kim)