Does speed increase lower Noise DB level?

Old June 16th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Does speed increase lower Noise DB level?

I've been having problems since switching from Pipex (who I was with for
3 years) to plusNet once they regraded the line to 2mb/s instead of 512kb/s

My Line Attenuation has always been around 53 db and so everyone in
other forums said I should be fine for 1mb/s but not 2mb/s so not sure
why Plusnet net has upgraded me to 2mb/s line. the Noise level onthe
line seems low and the line disconnects quite often now - but last night
was fine for 23 hours without disconnection and getting 9db in my
bedroom now today I was getting only 1db or 2db, plugged the router near
the Mater socket (one socket away) and got the figiure below, normally
it would be around 16db

Any ideas what's going on? would lowering the line rate to 1mb/s help?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 21 db
Old June 16th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Dee wrote:
[...]

BTW this is the line figures when the router is plugged directly into
the router with only one phone connected at the same point via an ADSL
Splitter

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 21 db

The previous readings were from the socket next inline to the Master
socket and litteraly on top of it connected by about a 3 inch long wire,
so why would there be such a difference? There is only 3 phones plugged
in under these figures - We've been fine for 3 years so why the sudden
problems?
Old June 16th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:24:17 +0100, Dee
wrote:

BTW this is the line figures when the router is plugged directly into
the router with only one phone connected at the same point via an ADSL
Splitter

can you rephrase that please

Phil

Old June 16th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:15:49 +0100, Dee
wrote:

Any ideas what's going on? would lowering the line rate to 1mb/s help?
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 21 db

7 dB margin isn't much and will drop out from time to time. You can
perhaps improve it (from the other post) if you were to use a
faceplate splitter.

Plug it into the test socket as shown at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3 and restart
the router/modem to see the best you can get from the line.

If you can clean it up and get a Noise Margin reliably in double
figures then stick with 2M. If it isn't reliable then dropping to 1M
will add about 6 to the margin.

Plusnet and others are upgrading people to the fastest speed their
line will take according to the www.bt.com/broadband number checker.

Phil

Old June 16th 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
Plusnet and others are upgrading people to the fastest speed their
line will take according to the www.bt.com/broadband number checker.

& we all know how accurate that isn't ;-)

Old June 17th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Phil Thompson wrote:

If you can clean it up and get a Noise Margin reliably in double
figures then stick with 2M. If it isn't reliable then dropping to 1M
will add about 6 to the margin.

The internet connection I have now with plusnet is throttled anyway as
it's the 14.99 per month package. so if I did get plusnet to put it
back to 1mb/s instead of 2mb/s I wouldn't be missing much.

We just tried connecting to the master socket direct and get a figure
from 18db to 20db

then tried again but using a 20m long telephone extension to see what
happens and the signal drops to about 13db

At the moment our house is wired with solid cables that have 6 wires in
them but of course some aren't used

Would doubling up and making use of those extra spare wires help or hinder?

Do you get shielded wires?

I know when we did my aunt's TV Antenna to get freeview we found
changing the old coax cables to RG6 Sat cable made a big difference in
picture quality.
Old June 17th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Dee wrote:

We just tried connecting to the master socket direct and get a figure
from 18db to 20db

then tried again but using a 20m long telephone extension to see what
happens and the signal drops to about 13db

At the moment our house is wired with solid cables that have 6 wires
in them but of course some aren't used

Would doubling up and making use of those extra spare wires help or
hinder?

Do you get shielded wires?

If you get significantly better results connecting to your master socket
than to an extension, it simply means that the extension wiring ain't a lot
of cop! Doubling up on conductors will do nothing to reduce noise pickup.

The way to go is to replace the faceplate on your master socket with a
filtered one from Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm or
Clarity http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm. This will
separate your analag and digital signals *at source* and prevent any of you
analog phone equipment or wiring from interfering with the ADSL signal. If
in a convenient location, plug your ADSL modem/router/whatever straight into
the ADSL socket on the filtered faceplate. Otherwise run a digital
extension - using CAT5 cable - to a suitable location (in which case the
modified faceplate from Clarity is best, since you can neatly wire your
digital extension into the back of it).
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 17th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:09:07 +0100, Dee
wrote:

Do you get shielded wires?

you can but a simple twisted pair on pins 2&5 (the A & B wires of the
incoming line) without any bell / ring wire connected is usually
perfectly sound. 3rd wires and flat non-twisted cables aren't good.

You didn't say if you tried the test socket behind the master - it
removes all extension wiring from the equation.

The Plusnet 14.99 package should give you 80% of the line speed most
of the time.

Phil

Old June 17th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

wrote:

Do you get shielded wires?

you can but a simple twisted pair on pins 2&5 (the A & B wires of the
incoming line) without any bell / ring wire connected is usually
perfectly sound. 3rd wires and flat non-twisted cables aren't good.

You didn't say if you tried the test socket behind the master - it
removes all extension wiring from the equation.

On our Master socket there is nothing plugged in internally on our side
- what my dad has done years ago is simply make a telephone plug that
plugs into the front and goes to the box above, so when I said earlier I
plugged into the master socket this is in effect the same as plugging
into the test socket

We did double up and make use of the extra 2 wires that were inthe cabe
and not being used for anything and it has improved the signal a bit, of
course they aren't twisted inside the cable bunch but I guess making use
of them rather then leaving them to do nothing has increased signal by
about 2db to my bedroom.

on the plusnet 14.99 PLUS package I think I get throttled down almost
all the time and I often am using the PC at like 2am and 3am, not sure
why I'm being throttle - you can see the speed is high to begin with and
then gets throttled back
Old June 17th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:04:17 +0100, Dee
wrote:

plugged into the master socket this is in effect the same as plugging=20
into the test socket

I see. That's fine as long as nothing is wired into the master. Sounds
like he duplicated the test socket functionality externally.

Phil