Stopping old and starting new BT ADSL contract

Old June 17th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Default Stopping old and starting new BT ADSL contract

Hi

We have a 512k BT ADSL service which was installed early in 2004, for which
we pay £65.00 per month. I have enquired from our BT account manager if we
can commence a new 2Mbit line at the current price, which is £30.00.

He has returned to me saying that it will cost £70.00 to stop the contract
and start a new one, even though we're past the mandatory twelve month
period.

Clearly, we are able to terminate our contract at any time and then take out
a new one without incurring this cost. However, he said if we do that,
we'll have down time of twenty days. I wonder what would happen if we moved
out of the office and a new company were to move in and have ADSL on that
line - would they need to wait twenty days?

Is this realistic or not? I feel that it's a bit restrictive, although the
cost's not a major issue - it's more a question of fairness.

I would point out also that I can live with a few days' down time if
necessary.

Thanks for any advice.

Old June 17th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:54:49 +0000 (UTC), "Roger"
wrote:

He has returned to me saying that it will cost £70.00 to stop the contract
and start a new one, even though we're past the mandatory twelve month
period.

ask for the migration (MAC) code then you have 30 days to go and
migrate to another ISP. The act of asking should be sufficient to get
you the offer of a re-grade to the 2M account.

or have you tried just ordering the faster service at
http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband and ignoring the account
manager ?

with migration the downtime is minutes, if you actually do have to
migrate to F2S, Zen, or whoever. There are 100 choices.

Phil

Old June 18th 05, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Geez, forget BT. Get a MAC code and migrate to somebody like Plus.Net for
FREE,
you will pay less (business 512k is only £27.99) and get a better customer
service, Plus.Net won awards for their service.
If you decide to sign up with tem please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer
and save me few pence,
thanks, regards,
Martin

Old June 18th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 Jun 2005 13:03, Phil Thompson wrote:

with migration the downtime is minutes, if you actually do have to
migrate to F2S, Zen, or whoever. There are 100 choices.

Indeed. My brother-in-law's firm is using freedom2surf (hate silly '2' in
the middle, myself), and they seem happy enough with the service. The OP
could get static IP at no monthly cost, and whether home or business user
their rates are much more competitive than most BT-related ISP deals. If
a static IP isn't important and the OP is mostly using his connection for
web browsing and e-mail (and not a heavy peer-to-peer or binary news user)
then Plus.Net's 14.99 account might be better (up to 2000 kbps, no monthly
quota, dynamic IP, but not suitable for a business customer - they have a
range of business accounts if that's the primary use of the OP).

Check the Plus.Net 'Broadband Plus' account. The threat of migrating is
probably enough, but why pay for BT's vert costly account if others are a
considerable saving, and based on the same BT 'cloud'... Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 18th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Martin²" writes:
Geez, forget BT. Get a MAC code and migrate to somebody like Plus.Net for
FREE,
you will pay less (business 512k is only £27.99) and get a better customer
service, Plus.Net won awards for their service.

I've had a BT openworld business ADSL line for several years (not that
I had any say in the matter), and I have always found their customer
service to be absolutely excellent, although I can't claim to have
made very frequent use of it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 18th 05, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Jun 2005 02:14, "Martin²" wrote:

you will pay less (business 512k is only £27.99)

except it seems he was also looking for a 2000 kbps service, and at 30.00

Plus.Net does a small business 1000 kbps service for 39.99/month, and a
Business 2000 kbps service at 74.99.

Freedom2Surf.net does 2000 kbps at 39.99 a month, so the question for the
OP is whether the 30.00 BT service has any traffic quota (I've only shown
ones without any, from the other two ISPs). Plus.Net doesn't look quite
so competitive for any business a/c on higher speeds, at present. Peter.

Old June 18th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 Jun 2005 09:54 UTC, "Roger" wrote:

We have a 512k BT ADSL service which was installed early in 2004, for which
we pay £65.00 per month. I have enquired from our BT account manager if we
can commence a new 2Mbit line at the current price, which is £30.00.

Was that an 'engineer install' or 'wires only' as there were various types
of problem converting from one to the other. While I'd normally expect it
to have been a problem for other ISPs, it does seem a bit odd that it's a
BT account manager seemingly unable/unwilling to see if there's a way to
waive fees for you... presumably he's assuming his 'good advice' to stay
is OK to you, and you wouldn't consider some alternative services... Seems
a couple of the business accounts I've seen (at 2000 kbps) might be more on
a monthly basis, but have no traffic quota... I don't know exactly what BT
account you are considering, it might equally have no traffic quota (that
seems to be the case for the BT Broadband account, BICBW). Good luck!

Old June 18th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 85...
On 18 Jun 2005 02:14, "Martin²" wrote:

you will pay less (business 512k is only £27.99)

except it seems he was also looking for a 2000 kbps service, and at 30.00

Plus.Net does a small business 1000 kbps service for 39.99/month, and a
Business 2000 kbps service at 74.99.

Freedom2Surf.net does 2000 kbps at 39.99 a month, so the question for the
OP is whether the 30.00 BT service has any traffic quota (I've only shown
ones without any, from the other two ISPs). Plus.Net doesn't look quite
so competitive for any business a/c on higher speeds, at present. Peter.

I could never bring myself to use BT retail for Broadband again. Some years
ago, when I had broadband and was getting very slow speeds on peer2peer
programmes, BT was secretly throttling ports, this is a common and open
practise now, but then it wasnt.
They had press releases refuting claims of port throttling, I phoned and
complained and was told catagorically that they do not throttle ports.

The port throttling was very obvious, and some cunning BT openworld user
devised a simple site where you could check the speeds particualr ports
where downloading.....

Yet, for months BT denied it was happening.

Liars.

Gaz