VOIP handsets - UK retailers

Old June 17th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default VOIP handsets - UK retailers

I really like the firebox usb handset but don't want to wait for it to
arrive - does anyone know if there are any UK retailer outlets in the high
street where I could buy one from?

If not - are there any UK highstreet shops that sell these VOIP handsets?
I'd especially love a wireless one...

Thanks if any of you know and could tell me : )

Old June 17th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote in message
I really like the firebox usb handset but don't want to wait for it to
arrive - does anyone know if there are any UK retailer outlets in the high
street where I could buy one from?

If not - are there any UK highstreet shops that sell these VOIP handsets?
I'd especially love a wireless one...

Thanks if any of you know and could tell me : )

For approx 10 more, you could have a ATA adaptor which can plug into a
router and allow a standard telephone to be connected to it. You would then
have a standalone VoIP phone that doesn't require your PC to be on.
There are a few ATA units, one being the Grandstream HT-486 and the Linksys
PAP2

Old June 17th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

For approx 10 more, you could have a ATA adaptor which can plug into a
router and allow a standard telephone to be connected to it. You would
then have a standalone VoIP phone that doesn't require your PC to be on.
There are a few ATA units, one being the Grandstream HT-486 and the
Linksys PAP2

Thanks for the info - perhaps I should have been a little more specific
about my needs - I intend using the phone through my pc using skype. My
"router" is in effect only my broadband modem, which I guess needs to be on
to work. Combined with the fact that I intend to use skype to skype (ie
free) the voip system you suggest does not really fulfill my requirements.

However, thanks once again for the info.

Anyone else?

Old June 17th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"ABC" wrote in message

wrote in message
I really like the firebox usb handset but don't want to wait for it to
arrive - does anyone know if there are any UK retailer outlets in the
high street where I could buy one from?

If not - are there any UK highstreet shops that sell these VOIP
handsets? I'd especially love a wireless one...

Thanks if any of you know and could tell me : )

For approx 10 more, you could have a ATA adaptor which can plug into a
router and allow a standard telephone to be connected to it. You would
then have a standalone VoIP phone that doesn't require your PC to be on.
There are a few ATA units, one being the Grandstream HT-486 and the
Linksys PAP2

Hi MH

You configure the VoIP adaptor with a sip account (sipgate.co.uk which is
free, or any one of the sip providers), give it an IP address (or use DHCP)
and then plug the device into a router. You will also need to plug in a
standard phone into the unit (this will be your IP handset). The device will
automatically register itself with your sip account. Any calls made to your
sip number will be sensed by the unit and will ring the attached phone.

Old June 17th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:13:47 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Combined with the fact that I intend to use skype to skype (ie
free) the voip system you suggest does not really fulfill my requirements.

although for the record it can also do IP to IP calls which are free,
that's not exclusive to Hype. Only running a computer to make a phone
call is exclusive to Skype.

Phil

Old June 17th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:16:05 +0100, "ABC"
wrote:

For approx 10 more, you could have a ATA adaptor which can plug into a
router and allow a standard telephone to be connected to it.

A quick question - does it HAVE to plug directly into the router, or
can it be plugged into a switch which then plugs into the router?

Old June 18th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:29:27 GMT, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

A quick question - does it HAVE to plug directly into the router, or
can it be plugged into a switch which then plugs into the router?

in general an ATA can go anywhere on a LAN connected to a router by
whatever means.

Odd ones incorporate a router / QoS meachansim and need to be the
first thing in line.

Phil