Line loss checking prior to adsl

Old June 17th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Line loss checking prior to adsl

Is there any way to check line loss figures etc on my line prior to my
exchange getting enabled in a couple of weeks time. I have an adsl router
but assume it cant give me that info until the line is enabled? The reason I
want to check is that whilst I am less than a km from the exchange the last
250 m from the road is via underground cable through farming land!! It is
exposed in a few places and has apparently been repaired a few times where
tractors etc have gone through it! I want to get a 2m connection and I
understand it does need a highish quality line.
thanks
Alan

Old June 17th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Alan wrote:
Is there any way to check line loss figures etc on my line prior to my
exchange getting enabled in a couple of weeks time. I have an adsl
router but assume it cant give me that info until the line is
enabled? The reason I want to check is that whilst I am less than a
km from the exchange the last 250 m from the road is via underground
cable through farming land!! It is exposed in a few places and has
apparently been repaired a few times where tractors etc have gone
through it! I want to get a 2m connection and I understand it does
need a highish quality line. thanks
Alan

Not sure if its possible? - you can get a very rough idea on what to expect
by putting your details into http://www.samknows.com/ - (availability
checker, then BT ADSL) - a few repairs here or there shouldn't cause too
much trouble

Jon

Old June 17th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:19:09 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

Is there any way to check line loss figures etc on my line prior to my
exchange getting enabled in a couple of weeks time.

no. The line guesser at www.bt.com/broadband tells you what you can
order. If its broke they'll fix it or take you to a lower speed but
either way you can't actually do anything about it until you have the
service.

Phil

Old June 17th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Alan" wrote in message
Is there any way to check line loss figures etc on my line prior to my
exchange getting enabled in a couple of weeks time. I have an adsl router
but assume it cant give me that info until the line is enabled? The reason I
want to check is that whilst I am less than a km from the exchange the last
250 m from the road is via underground cable through farming land!! It is
exposed in a few places and has apparently been repaired a few times where
tractors etc have gone through it! I want to get a 2m connection and I
understand it does need a highish quality line.
thanks
Alan

AFAIK an individual line only gets tested when you apply. Normally you don't get
charged if a service can not be provided, though I am not sure what would happen
if you said you only want a 2m service. That might depend on the ISP you choose.

--

Michael Chare