Contention - Who do you contend with?

Old June 17th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default Contention - Who do you contend with?

We are a business located on a business park. Our 1MB Star.net connection is
suffering pings of nearly a second to UK sites. Our business 20:1 contention
ratio may be the problem - are we likely to share with other businesses on the
park, whose internet use may be similar to ours (2Gb/day)?

Our previous kilostream link (128kb/s) was much quicker but much more expensive.

Would we be better binding some of our ISDN lines? We have 12, six of which are
required for video conferencing.

JPG
Old June 17th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"JPG" wrote in message
We are a business located on a business park. Our 1MB Star.net connection
is
suffering pings of nearly a second to UK sites. Our business 20:1
contention
ratio may be the problem - are we likely to share with other businesses on
the
park, whose internet use may be similar to ours (2Gb/day)?

Our previous kilostream link (128kb/s) was much quicker but much more
expensive.

Would we be better binding some of our ISDN lines? We have 12, six of
which are
required for video conferencing.

JPG

The leased-line would be quicker as it is a 1:1 link to your ISP (and it was
128kb/s up, 128kb/s down) so you can't compaire this line to an ADSL line.
Regarding the ISDN, you could bind the other 6 lines, but depending on how
your telco bills you for the call charges, this solution may be VERY
expensive.
The best solution would be a 1:1 contention ADSL link (these come at a
premium but are far cheaper than a leased-line), or if you want the benefit
of the symetrical dfata link, go for a 10:1 (1:1 if finances permit) SDSL

Old June 17th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:44:33 +0100, JPG wrote:

Our 1MB Star.net connection is
suffering pings of nearly a second to UK sites.

check the exchange at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
specifically the VP capacity.

does the throughput suffer as well as the ping time ?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

tracert www.bbc.co.uk or similar might be illustrative

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms *.*.demon.co.uk [10.0.0.2]
2 34 ms 28 ms 27 ms thus6-hg2.kingston.broadband.bt.net
[217.41.134.
73]
3 31 ms 28 ms 27 ms 217.41.134.1
4 34 ms 29 ms 27 ms 217.41.134.106
5 33 ms 26 ms 29 ms
park-inside-1-g3-0-0-s193.router.demon.net [194.159.246.66]
6 38 ms 28 ms 29 ms tele-border-2-g1-0-2.router.demon.net
[194.70.98.198]
7 40 ms 28 ms 29 ms demon-te4-3-607.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk
[195.11.50.66]
8 26 ms 27 ms 28 ms 212.58.238.149
9 27 ms 27 ms 29 ms www41.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.86]

Trace complete.

Phil