Unavailable

Old June 17th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default Unavailable

Since I signed up to Plusnet, when I do a "Synch All" in M$OE, it checks the
e mails
(I still have 3 a'cs with onetel which it checks fine, and then the 'new'
plusnet one which it also does fine)
.... then it goes to news.individual.net to check the newsgroup messages and
often it says "a connection to the internet cannot be found" (or summat like
that) 'work off line' or 'try again'.

I click 'try again' and it works fine!

Apart form the 'get rid of M$', is there any suggestions as to whassup?

--

J B

Old June 17th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

J B wrote:

Since I signed up to Plusnet, when I do a "Synch All" in M$OE, it
checks the e mails
(I still have 3 a'cs with onetel which it checks fine, and then the
'new' plusnet one which it also does fine)
... then it goes to news.individual.net to check the newsgroup
messages and often it says "a connection to the internet cannot be
found" (or summat like that) 'work off line' or 'try again'.

I click 'try again' and it works fine!

Apart form the 'get rid of M$', is there any suggestions as to
whassup?

Have a look at Tools/Accounts, select news.individual.net and click on
Properties.

Under Connections, make sure that nothing is set - thus allowing it to use
the default connection set in IE.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 17th 05, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

"J B" wrote in :

Since I signed up to Plusnet, when I do a "Synch All" in M$OE, it
checks the e mails
(I still have 3 a'cs with onetel which it checks fine, and then the
'new' plusnet one which it also does fine)
... then it goes to news.individual.net to check the newsgroup messages
and often it says "a connection to the internet cannot be found" (or
summat like that) 'work off line' or 'try again'.

I click 'try again' and it works fine!

Apart form the 'get rid of M$', is there any suggestions as to whassup?

Same happened to me a week ago (XP/IE6SP1). I can't remember the details but
what I did was:

1. Google on the exact text of the message box plus "Internet Explorer" -
gave a handful of responses.

2. what was suggested by the most sensible responses (it wasn't terribly
complicated).

Result: problem solved.

Good luck
Old June 17th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Chris Cheney wrote:
"J B" wrote in :

[...]

Hi, it might be an idea to just rebuild your news profile in OE and
renew your subscriptions. I wouldn't have thought this problem would be
the result of an upgrade to us. You could also try using the IP address
instead of host name for your news server in your news account
properties. If this resolves the issue then you could be looking at an
intermittent DNS lookup failure.

Kind Regards,

Old June 18th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Hi, it might be an idea to just rebuild your news profile in OE and
renew your subscriptions.

Que?

I wouldn't have thought this problem would be
the result of an upgrade to us.

Good!

You could also try using the IP address
instead of host name for your news server in your news account
properties.

Which for news.individual.net is ....?

If this resolves the issue then you could be looking at an
intermittent DNS lookup failure.

Que? (again)

--

J B

Old June 18th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:23:49 +0100,it is alleged that "J B"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Which for news.individual.net is ....?

Name: news.individual.net
Address: 130.133.1.4

HTH

--
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were REAL
men, women were REAL women, and small furry creatures from Alpha
Old June 18th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Jun 2005 17:23 "J B" wrote:

Which for news.individual.net is ....?

C:\nslookup

news.individual.net

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.individual.net
Address: 130.133.1.4

You'll find Google /any search engine/ and Wikipedia might help
for other things if you are willing to 'help yourself' to info.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 18th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

J B wrote:
"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Hi, it might be an idea to just rebuild your news profile in OE and
renew your subscriptions.

Que?

Basically, delete all your news settings in Outlook Express and set
everything up again.

You could also try using the IP address
instead of host name for your news server in your news account
properties.

Which for news.individual.net is ....?

Already answered in this thread.

If this resolves the issue then you could be looking at an
intermittent DNS lookup failure.

Que? (again)

DNS is responsible for resolving a domain name (eg. news.individual.net)
to it's internet IP address (130.133.1.4). Without this functionality
you would only be able to browse to websites by their IP to use an
example (which would be very cumbersome). If there is an issue with your
DNS settings, then it may result in the problems you are having.

Kind Regards,

Old June 19th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 85...

if you are willing to 'help yourself' to info.

I did google first, one told me to 'repair' my connection, which made no
difference, and the other's mentioned stuff I didn't understand.

Thanks for your advice on t'other stuff.

--

J B

Old June 19th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Basically, delete all your news settings in Outlook Express and set
everything up again.

Hmm, done that before, but not for a couple of years. Would prolly do it
good to do it again, but not today!!

You could also try using the IP address
instead of host name for your news server

Done now.

If there is an issue with your DNS settings, then it may result in the
problems you are having.

I'm using "auto discovered DNS" according to my router.
Is that right?

--

J B