Phone line turned off

Old June 20th 05, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddy

Default Phone line turned off

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does
not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his
Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to
him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Thanks

Eddy
Old June 20th 05, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:17:42 +0100,it is alleged that Eddy
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does
not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his
Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to
him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Thanks

Yes, as I understand it they will cease the ADSL service as soon as
the line is terminated.

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.
Old June 20th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddy

Chip wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:17:42 +0100,it is alleged that Eddy
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does
not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his
Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to
him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Thanks

Yes, as I understand it they will cease the ADSL service as soon as
the line is terminated.

Just as I thought, thanks for the prompt reply!.

Eddy
Old June 20th 05, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does
not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his
Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to
him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Thanks

Eddy

True, BT won't allow you to continue using a ceased line for ADSL only;
but having said that, don't be surprised if the ADSL continues to work for a
few days after the voice service is withdrawn.

The reason for this is telephone service will typically be turned off my a
command from a remote administration centre far from the exchange.

At the present time the only way to remove the ADSL from the line is for an
engineer to go to the exchange and physically disconnect it at the
distribution frame.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 20th 05, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Your friend needs to find a consenting close neighbour, share his/hers
broadband via WiFi, share the cost, give up the BT line and laugh all the
way past the BT exchange to the bank.
Regards,
Martin (via WiFi of course)

Old June 20th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:17:42 +0100, Eddy
wrote:

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does
not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his
Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to
him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Yes, he will lose his ADSL service at some point after he ceases his
telephone service.

What he needs, and what a large number of people are waiting for is
"naked ADSL, where you don't have to take telephone service to obtain
an ADSL account - I understand that such a service is being mooted in
parts of the US.

Old June 20th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so
he does not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he
still keep his Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that
off as well due to him not paying line rental is this the case?.

Yes, he will lose his ADSL service at some point after he ceases his
telephone service.

What he needs, and what a large number of people are waiting for is
"naked ADSL, where you don't have to take telephone service to
obtain an ADSL account - I understand that such a service is being
mooted in parts of the US.

You don't have to have phone service to have cable broadband. Of course
you have to have a cable in your street..

Ivor

Old June 20th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:07:42 +0100, Peter
wrote:

What he needs, and what a large number of people are waiting for is
"naked ADSL, where you don't have to take telephone service to obtain
an ADSL account

you can have that now, just don't plug a phone in. The line rental is
the line rental either way, the "large number of people" will be fed
up when they discover its no cheaper on account of calls paying for
the voice kit.

Phil

Old June 20th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

wrote:

What he needs, and what a large number of people are waiting for is
"naked ADSL, where you don't have to take telephone service to obtain
an ADSL account

you can have that now, just don't plug a phone in. The line rental is
the line rental either way, the "large number of people" will be fed
up when they discover its no cheaper on account of calls paying for
the voice kit.

BT can provide incoming calls barred and outgoing calls barred, for no
extra charge above the line rental. A project I was involved with, which
was providing ADSL at various locations and funded centrally, did just
that. It didn't want to incur phone bills, and barring both incoming and
outgoing calls is a reasonably effective way of doing that on a line
intended only for ADSL use.

--
Tim Clark
Old June 21st 05, 02:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Phil T:
people" will be fed
up when they discover its no cheaper on account of calls paying for
the voice kit.

Nonsense. All you need for 'proper' set up is £35 Linksys PAP2 ATA and any
old phone which you likely to have anyway. So that's barely over 3 months BT
rental.
Zoom X5V is £89.83 only ~£22 more then plain X5.
Similarly Draytek Vigor routers with two VoIP ports are £30-35 more then
without.
Regards,
Martin