2Mb Broadband

Old June 20th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default 2Mb Broadband

I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been looking
around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214 meteres
from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange to get
2Mb?

Old June 20th 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Gareth :-\) voom:
I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a
2Mb package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been
looking around the internet and came across a site which tells me I
am 214 meteres from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away
from the exchange to get 2Mb?

214 metres would make you nextdoor to the exchange!

Old June 20th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

At 214 metres from the exchange you are eligable for 100Mb/s if VDSL2 were
available!

Dan

Old June 20th 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:21:47 +0100, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb.

You mean you only see 1Mb throughput, or your account is labelled as
1Mb?

If the former, thats life - bear in mind your download speed depends
on many factors such as the performance of the remote server,
congestion and contention on links between you and it, number of
students who live nearby etc etc.

Old June 20th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I think it was in this newsgroup that I read that BT stick you on 2mb line
and then cap it if you have gone for the 1mb service. Maybe they have got
you on a 2mb line but have erroneously capped it (ticked the wrong box) to
1mb. Its got to be worth giving them a ring.

Old June 20th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

wrote:

I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb.

You mean you only see 1Mb throughput, or your account is labelled as
1Mb?

If the former, thats life - bear in mind your download speed depends
on many factors such as the performance of the remote server,
congestion and contention on links between you and it, number of
students who live nearby etc etc.

Well I have just signed up with Plusnet who give you 2Mb as standard. My
router is showing connected at: 1152 kbps and I have run a few speed tests @
Plusnet which indicate I am running at just below 1Mb.

I thought I might of been too far away from my exchange but as a few people
on here have pointed out I am right on top of it so i don't know what the
problem is. I will have to raise a ticket with plusnet and see what they
say.

Old June 20th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Jun 2005 18:16, "Gareth :-\\\) voom" wrote:

My router is showing connected at: 1152 kbps

Odds are that when the regrading was attempted, there were errors found by
BT (or their prediction was that because of losses, your connection would
be unstable at 2000 kbps). Odds are it was a BT decision! Good luck!!
Old June 20th 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for

a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been

looking
around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214

meteres
from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange

to get
2Mb?

==================================

You can't receive anything any faster than the rate at which it is
being transmitted. Regardless of how far you are from the exchange.

Old June 20th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

wrote:

I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been looking
around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214 meteres
from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange to get
2Mb?

I assume you know where your telephone exchange is and are confident
you are almost next door. Hoever, it may be worth having a look at:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

and looking at the loctaion of your exchange on a map - check to see
if it is indeed next door to Chez Gareth, or is 2km+

Old June 20th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

news
wrote:

I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb
package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been looking
around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214

meteres
from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange to

get
2Mb?

I assume you know where your telephone exchange is and are confident
you are almost next door. Hoever, it may be worth having a look at:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

and looking at the loctaion of your exchange on a map - check to see
if it is indeed next door to Chez Gareth, or is 2km+

err 214 meteres as stated in the opening post Everyone on here seems to
think I am quite close.