Marginal 2Mb ADSL. Will new Router help?

Old June 20th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vortex

Default Marginal 2Mb ADSL. Will new Router help?

I have been using ADSL for a couple of years, with a 512 connection that has
been solid as a rock.

Recently regraded to 2 Mb and the connection is "marginal" (I am 6k from
exchange). It's probably up 50% of the time. I really do not want to
downgrade back to 1Mb or less!

ISP is arranging for BT to double check things are optimised at their end.
The question is are there more things I can do to optimise my end?

I am using a D-Link DSL604+ router directly from the Master socket. It's
been suggested to me that different/newer routers may have improved "front
end" signal handling and therefore be more robust. This seems plausible to
me.

Can anybody comment on this? Are some routers have better prformance than
others?

Any comments/observations welcome.

David

Old June 20th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Vortex says...
[...]

Try upgrading the router firmware. Available from D-Link's website.

That router is not exactly ancient BTW and a newer firmware release is a
no-cost option, but make sure you RTFM before attempting to flash it.

FR
Old June 20th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vortex2

Try upgrading the router firmware. Available from D-Link's website.

That router is not exactly ancient BTW and a newer firmware release is a
no-cost option, but make sure you RTFM before attempting to flash it.

FR

Good suggestion. Will try tonight.

Davdid

Old June 21st 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Draytek Vigor range of modems are good and rock solid, if not cheap.
They have a beta version of firmware specially for UK marginal signal
connections.
Regards,
Martin