D-Link DSL-300T modem and connection to Plusnet problem - help please

Old June 20th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default D-Link DSL-300T modem and connection to Plusnet problem - help please

I am familiar with this Newsgroup so am posting here before trying
Groups on Plusnet site.

Having had successful personal experience of connecting to Broadband I
am now at a loss when trying to connect for a Charity I help.

A D-Link DSL-300T modem is being used. After connection I will look at
setting up a network with a Berkin Router already bought.

At this point I just want to establish a Broadband connection.

PC is running WinXP Home.

The modem has a steady green light for ADSL signal.

The D-Link modem site has been given the following settings:

PPPoA
VCI 38
VPI 0
Encapsulation VC

The username
and the password entered.

On the PC I have set TCP/IP in the Network to "obtain IP and DNS
automatically"

All other info for the modem has been left unchanged per the guidance
booklet.

What else should I have entered. I cannot see anything on the modem
pages showing Plusnets DNS number (I assumed this would be picked up
automatically).

The log says "Network is unreachable" and it also says "CHAP
authentication failed".

What else should I have entered - either in the modem settings or on
the PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

KM
Old June 20th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:58:00 +0100, km wrote:

The log says "Network is unreachable" and it also says "CHAP
authentication failed".

tried the BT test login in case Plusnet haven't got you setup or the
details are mixed up

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/troubleshooting/adsl_troubleshooting.shtml

Phil

Old June 20th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Piggott

Old June 20th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:10:45 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:58:00 +0100, km wrote:

The log says "Network is unreachable" and it also says "CHAP
authentication failed".

tried the BT test login in case Plusnet haven't got you setup or the
details are mixed up

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/troubleshooting/adsl_troubleshooting.shtml

Phil

I ran a couple of these tests as identified by Plusnet but they would
not connect to give error messages.

KM
Old June 20th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:45:31 +0100, Adam Piggott
wrote:

km wrote:

The log says "Network is unreachable" and it also says "CHAP
authentication failed".

If the CHAP authentication is failing it should be a
username/password/Plusnet account issue.

HTH,

That has crossed my mind ie there is a basic problem involving these
but I have asked Plusnet to verify that the information they are
holding matches the Username I have are as held in their records.

The password and first part of the username I use to Login to the
Plusnet Web site are the same as those I entered for the D-Link modem
connection. (Username is made up of your personal username with
@plusdsl.net after it.)

I will approach Plusnet for verification once again.

KM
Old June 20th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Adam Piggott wrote in news:42b70ec4
:

If the CHAP authentication is failing it should be a
username/password/Plusnet account issue.

Could just as easily be a problem with BT not passing authentication
requests onto PlusNet's radius servers if the account hasn't been tagged
to the ISP properly..

--
Colin
Old June 20th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On 20 Jun 2005 20:52:19 GMT, cw wrote:

Adam Piggott wrote in news:42b70ec4
:

If the CHAP authentication is failing it should be a
username/password/Plusnet account issue.

Could just as easily be a problem with BT not passing authentication
requests onto PlusNet's radius servers if the account hasn't been tagged
to the ISP properly..

Have just received a reply to my Plusnet ticket.

"I have found a problem with your account configuration which will
have prevented you from connecting. I have now rectified this, so you
should now be able to connect up. "

I will have another go at the Charity Day Centre tomorrow.

Three days wasted trying to solve this - thought it was BT / then my
existing Network settings / then Modem. Took in a PC from home to try
connecting and spent ages reading manuals and forums.

I suppose I have the consolation that I have the benefit of more
knowledge now than I had a week ago.

Thanks for everyone's input.

KM

Old June 20th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:42:36 +0100, km wrote:

I ran a couple of these tests as identified by Plusnet but they would
not connect to give error messages.

you mean the bt_test login doesn't work either ?

Phil

Old June 21st 05, 05:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:58:32 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:42:36 +0100, km wrote:

I ran a couple of these tests as identified by Plusnet but they would
not connect to give error messages.

you mean the bt_test login doesn't work either ?

Phil

Hello Phil

Yes that's right. However as reported in another response I put in
this thread the reply I have had from Plusnet shows they had made some
mistake at their end.

Rather frustrating as I raised a ticket with them about my concern re.
accuracy of Username and maybe Password on the first day I could'nt
connect (last Thursday).

KM
Old June 21st 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:33:43 +0100, km wrote:

Yes that's right. However as reported in another response I put in
this thread the reply I have had from Plusnet shows they had made some
mistake at their end.

missed that one.

I don't want to rain on your parade but if the ADSL signal was there
you should have been able to log in to the bt_test login irrespective
of what the ISP had done.

The only mistake that would prevent that would be if they had enabled
the wrong line or no line at all. If I were you I would take along a
piece of known working hardware - these ethernet modems seem to be
rather more "non intuitive" than most.

Phil