2Mb Broadband

Old June 20th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default 2Mb Broadband

Just got this response from Plusnet:

If BT have provided you with 1Mb then this will be the fastest speed
possible on your line.
Line speed is not simply decided on by distance form the exchange so the
fact you are close to the exchange dores not mean you will get 2Mb.

The results of BT's line tests obviously ruled out 2Mb in your case.

Regards,

Richard Mason

You may view your Contact Us ticket at
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets
in order to view our response to your ticket, please add a new comment or
close the
ticket if the issue has now been resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,
PlusNet Customer Support

Does this mean I will never get 2Mb broadband? or can I do something about
it? I didn't find the response very helpful to be honest which is not a good
start.

Old June 20th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Gareth :-\) voom wrote:

Does this mean I will never get 2Mb broadband? or can I do something
about it? I didn't find the response very helpful to be honest which
is not a good start.

It means that, unless you can persuade BT to send an engineer out to
personally test the line to prove it is 2Mb capable - you're stuffed

Old June 20th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:48:10 +0100, "Paul King"
wrote:

It means that, unless you can persuade BT to send an engineer out to
personally test the line to prove it is 2Mb capable - you're stuffed

with a Woosh test they can remotely pick up the downstream attenuation
stats from the end user kit - are these visible to the user in this
case ?

Phil

Old June 20th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

It means that, unless you can persuade BT to send an engineer out to
personally test the line to prove it is 2Mb capable - you're stuffed

with a Woosh test they can remotely pick up the downstream attenuation
stats from the end user kit - are these visible to the user in this
case ?

That isn't as accurate as having the engineer visit & the kit attached to
the line can affect the results of a whoosh test as well, normally for the
worse...

Old June 21st 05, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:12:03 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

That isn't as accurate as having the engineer visit & the kit attached to
the line can affect the results of a whoosh test as well, normally for the
worse...

always worth having the experienced eye to look over it.

If an engineer isn't forthcoming remotely reading a modem can't be a
mile different from reading them on the spot esp if the CPE is plugged
into the test socket.

Phil

Old June 21st 05, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

"Gareth :-\\\) voom" wrote:
Just got this response from Plusnet:

If BT have provided you with 1Mb then this will be the fastest speed
possible on your line.
Line speed is not simply decided on by distance form the exchange so the
fact you are close to the exchange dores not mean you will get 2Mb.

The results of BT's line tests obviously ruled out 2Mb in your case.

Does your router/modem reveal any line statistics?
You're looking for
Signal attenuation: Upstream 30dB
Downstream 50dB
SNR margin Upstream 20dB