Upgrading to broadband

Old June 20th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Allerton

Default Upgrading to broadband

I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have a
dial up facility on the PC. Will a dial up connection still operate on an
ASDL enabled line?

Thanks

John.

Old June 20th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

John Allerton wrote:
I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to
have a dial up facility on the PC. Will a dial up connection still
operate on an ASDL enabled line?

Yes. After all, a dial-up modem is a 'phone device. Just make certain that
the dial-up modem is plugged into the 'phone side of the filter.

Old June 20th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:28:19 +0100,it is alleged that "John Allerton"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have a
dial up facility on the PC. Will a dial up connection still operate on an
ASDL enabled line?

Thanks

John.

Mine does, it still connects at a happy 46kbps when I need to use a
dialup [for example when the ADSL goes down for planned maintenance
that the ISP kinda failed to actually tell anyone about]

Plug your dialup modem into the telephone jack on the ADSL filter, and
you should be good to go, however, make sure you change all your
settings in your operating system to NOT try to use the dialup by
default or you could end up with a pleasant bill
HTH

not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Old June 20th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Piggott

Old June 20th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"John Allerton" wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have a
dial up facility on the PC.

Will a dial up connection still operate on an
ASDL enabled line?

Yes. but possibly at a slightly reduced rate.

--

Michael Chare

Old June 21st 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"John Allerton" wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have
dial up facility on the PC.

Will a dial up connection still operate on an
ASDL enabled line?

Yes. but possibly at a slightly reduced rate.

--

Michael Chare

Its also worth mentioning here that unless you disconnect your dial-up modem
from the phone line, you will be at the risk of rogue dialler software, so
once you move to broadband, make sure you don't have the dial-up modem
connected to the phone line unless you need to have it connected, as you
will run the risk of premium rate calls being made even whilst you are using
the broadband connection! I removed my 56k dial-up modem once the broadband
was enabled, to make sure this could *never* happen.

Old June 21st 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Ron wrote:

Its also worth mentioning here that unless you disconnect your dial-up modem
from the phone line, you will be at the risk of rogue dialler software, so
once you move to broadband, make sure you don't have the dial-up modem
connected to the phone line unless you need to have it connected, as you
will run the risk of premium rate calls being made even whilst you are using
the broadband connection! I removed my 56k dial-up modem once the broadband
was enabled, to make sure this could *never* happen.

I've just upgraded my PC. The new one doesn't have a modem. My old external
model is in the cupboard "just in case".

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford