Wanadont Deadbox

Old June 21st 05, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSnet

Default Wanadont Deadbox

OK, let me try to be brief!

I am a mac user (OS X.3.8) and I have recently subscribed to the
wireless and talk service from Wanadoo. They say they do not support
mac os x but I have picked up on various threads and tutorials
regarding the setting up and it is possible. The problem being I am
falling at the first hurdle, the red light that rapidly flashes next to
the @ symbol has not halted - thus indicating the connection to the
internet is not active.

I am able to use the Livebox as a network router alowing me to connect
my powerbook to my desktop machine via Airport (WiFi) so there is no
doubt that I my end of the deal seems to be running OK.

This is where the problem gets interesting: Upon calling for support,
Wanadoo seem not to wana help. I mention I am a mac user and they
assume this to be the route of the problem. As I said my end of the
bargain seems fine, my hardware is doing what it should and having a PC
on the other end of the Livebox would not make a difference, there is
no signal coming in.

They insist my line is active and various tests have been carried out
to indicate the line is clear.

Has anyone had similar problems? open to Mac or PC users? Hints, tips,
anything!!!!!

Old June 21st 05, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 20 Jun 2005 15:48:10 -0700, "McSnet" wrote:

Has anyone had similar problems? open to Mac or PC users? Hints, tips,
anything!!!!!

is this a new ADSL connection or did you have one before changing the
kit / deal ? What speed is it at and what does www.bt.com/broadband
say for your number.

failure to sync with the exchange is not uncommon, neither is getting
the wrong details from the ISP. There is a bt_test login that may
check out the second part :-
Username = [email protected]_domain
Password = (ignored)

you will only see one web page if it does connect, but at least you
know then that it syncs OK.

May be worth posting the format of userid you are using for others to
compare.

If it isn't getting a good enough signal to sync then the ISP should
despatch a BT engineer after talking you through the "is it plugged
in" diagnostics. Try a DIY approach of removing every phone/fax/sky
box/alarm/CLID unit from the system and plugging into the master
socket or (preferably) the test socket behind it - see
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

then power it off/on and see if the lights look any better.

Phil

Old June 21st 05, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSnet

I was using a dial-up connection previous. Connection speed supposed to
be 1mbps. BT Broadband says ADSL is available on my number for up to
2mbps.

Regarding login: I believe this would happen at the point of connection
to ISP. If I could get that far I'm sure I'd be fine.

Check out the link below to see the procedure I followed.

http://www.transcience.freeserve.co....-wireless.html

I'm not entirely sure my faceplate looks like the one in the link you
sent. Is it possible it could have been installed prior to this model
(house built in mid 70s)?

Dave

Old June 21st 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 20 Jun 2005 16:41:37 -0700, "McSnet" wrote:

I was using a dial-up connection previous. Connection speed supposed to
be 1mbps. BT Broadband says ADSL is available on my number for up to
2mbps.

so signal strength should be OK.

Regarding login: I believe this would happen at the point of connection
to ISP. If I could get that far I'm sure I'd be fine.

you connect to exchange, then you connect to ISP. Not sure if the
first is happening if it does then bt_test login would work.

Check out the link below to see the procedure I followed.

http://www.transcience.freeserve.co....-wireless.html

there are different steps involved - getting an ADSL signal to sync to
that the exchange and livebox can talk to each other, then
authenticating your account over that link. I don't know what the
flashing @ symbol is telling you - in sync or in sync and logged in -
google suggests rapidly flashing means no sync.

it might be easier to restart it while watching the messages on that
configuration page you show.

I believe it would say something like "current state is not connected"
leadin to "error #506 wanadoo home not sychronised on broadband line"

I'm not entirely sure my faceplate looks like the one in the link you
sent. Is it possible it could have been installed prior to this model
(house built in mid 70s)?

quite possible, ISTR BT brought them in post privatisation to
demarcate their system from customer wiring.

Have you tried with everthing else unplugged from the line and the
livebox on the socket nearest the incoming cable ?

If it won't sync then you need Wanadoo to get a BT engineer out
however your earlier message implied that they think it is connected
so this may bbe a struggle Be persistent. Synchronisation is a low
level activity independent of ISP login details, if it don't sync its
a wiring / signal / interference issue. If I were you I wouldn't
mention the mac just say the light is flashing and read out the error
messages off the web interface.

Phil