What can I do?

Old June 21st 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Default What can I do?

My Virgin.net activation date was the 8th June 05. I just get a flashing
light for ADSL on the BB modem. I have tried removing all other devices,
(a phone) swapping the filters and using the BT test socket with nothing
else. Still flashing. Virgin have asked BT to test the line twice and
twice BT have said the line is fine. However they have not sent an
engineer to the house. The second report from BT sounded final.

I'm about to borrow another BB modem and filters to try it but if that
doesn't work either what can I do? Do the line tests test all the way to
the BT socket in the house or would an engineer visit help? Anything
else I can try myself?

tia

--
www.ukwebhost.com

Old June 21st 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Cullen Skink wrote:

My Virgin.net activation date was the 8th June 05. I just get a
flashing light for ADSL on the BB modem. I have tried removing all
other devices, (a phone) swapping the filters and using the BT test
socket with nothing else. Still flashing. Virgin have asked BT to
test the line twice and twice BT have said the line is fine. However
they have not sent an engineer to the house. The second report from
BT sounded final.

I'm about to borrow another BB modem and filters to try it but if that
doesn't work either what can I do? Do the line tests test all the
way to the BT socket in the house or would an engineer visit help?
Anything else I can try myself?

tia

How many lights are there on the modem - are there separate Synch and Online
lights? If so, which one is flashing?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 21st 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Cullen Skink wrote:

My Virgin.net activation date was the 8th June 05. I just get a
flashing light for ADSL on the BB modem. I have tried removing all
other devices, (a phone) swapping the filters and using the BT test
socket with nothing else. Still flashing. Virgin have asked BT to
test the line twice and twice BT have said the line is fine. However
they have not sent an engineer to the house. The second report from
BT sounded final.

I'm about to borrow another BB modem and filters to try it but if
that doesn't work either what can I do? Do the line tests test all
the way to the BT socket in the house or would an engineer visit
help? Anything else I can try myself?

tia

How many lights are there on the modem - are there separate Synch and
Online lights? If so, which one is flashing?

Two lights, one for USB and one for ADSL. It's the ADSL one which is
flashing. It's a Speedtouch 330.

Old June 21st 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Cullen Skink" wrote in message
My Virgin.net activation date was the 8th June 05. I just get a flashing
light for ADSL on the BB modem. I have tried removing all other devices,
(a phone) swapping the filters and using the BT test socket with nothing
else. Still flashing. Virgin have asked BT to test the line twice and
twice BT have said the line is fine. However they have not sent an
engineer to the house. The second report from BT sounded final.

I'm about to borrow another BB modem and filters to try it but if that
doesn't work either what can I do? Do the line tests test all the way to
the BT socket in the house or would an engineer visit help? Anything
else I can try myself?

There's another thing to try if your master socket is the one with a split
down the middle and two screws.
Take out the screws and you should find the faceplate plugs into an
identical phone socket beneath.
Try your modem directly into that.
If it still fails try another modem, that was the faulty item in my own hair
tairing session.

H.

Old June 21st 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:11:49 UTC, "Harry"
wrote:

"Cullen Skink" wrote in message
My Virgin.net activation date was the 8th June 05. I just get a flashing
light for ADSL on the BB modem. I have tried removing all other devices,
(a phone) swapping the filters and using the BT test socket with nothing
else. Still flashing. Virgin have asked BT to test the line twice and
twice BT have said the line is fine. However they have not sent an
engineer to the house. The second report from BT sounded final.

There's another thing to try if your master socket is the one with a split
down the middle and two screws.
Take out the screws and you should find the faceplate plugs into an
identical phone socket beneath.
Try your modem directly into that.

I think he covered that with " I have tried removing all other devices,
... and using the BT test socket with nothing else. "

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old June 21st 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Harry wrote:
"Cullen Skink" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Yip have tried the test socket previously but it's just the same. Trying
a friends BB router tomorrow so hopefully that will show if it's a
hardware issue. Thanks.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:29:06 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

I'm about to borrow another BB modem and filters to try it but if that
doesn't work either what can I do? Do the line tests test all the way to
the BT socket in the house or would an engineer visit help? Anything
else I can try myself?

the line tests are basic voice functionality and really only check
that the voice connection is there (which you know anyway) and the
electrical properties are somewhere near.

You need an engineer visit. Insist on it. They bring their own modem
and laptop for a start so ruling out your kit. They can check the
wiring in the exchange is correct and if it turns out to be simply the
line length / attenuation they can scratch around for another pair to
try or work there way back up the line to see at what point it stops
working. Virgin have to arrange this.

Its helpful in these discussions to say what the line checker at
www.bt.com/broadband says, if it says "very unlikely" or "512k/256k
only" that puts line length on the suspects list. Also what speed
service are you trying to get.

Phil

Old June 22nd 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

wrote:

[...]

Testing a friends router tomorrow morning so will no more then. It's a
512kbps service I have ordered. The line checker says:

"Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download
speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may
require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband
service."

Thanks

Old June 22nd 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:05:47 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download

should be OK then at 512k. Good Luck.

Phil

Old June 22nd 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Cullen Skink wrote:
Testing a friends router tomorrow morning so will no more then. It's
a 512kbps service I have ordered. The line checker says:

"Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have
an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps
download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps
service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible,
supply the broadband service."

Thanks

Should be "know" more of course! :-)

On a different note I read that for voice calls, only one of the copper
pair needs to be connected whereas for broadband both need to be. Does
that mean the two wires that connect inside the BT master socket? If so,
if there was a break in one of the wires somewhere along the cable would
a line test show that?