Switching ISP

Old June 21st 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Switching ISP

Hi, after many years with ClaraNet (dial-up, ISDN and now Broadband)
connections, I am moving to a new provider. I've always been very happy with
ClaraNet's service, even though they are more expensive than many other
ISPs. However, I wish to upgrade from a 512k to a 2mb connection and their
2mb charges are simply stupid. They also want to charge me 50 pounds to
upgrade, so I am leaving and planning to set up a new 2mb account with
Pipex.

A couple of things - are there any Pipex horror stories I should know about?
I was with them many moons ago and they seemed good, but I don't know if
they still have the same reputation, so any views or comments on the
standard of service I can expect would be welcome.

Also, the whole business of changing ISP seems much more complicated in
these days of broadband. My plan of attack is:

1) Inform ClaraNet that I want to move to a new ISP and ask them for my
migration number (or whatever it's called!)

2) Visit the Pipex site and place my order for a 2mb line.

Is this the right way to go about it? Am I likely to incur any costs by
migrating a 512k line and upgrading it to 2mb? Pipex say there are NO set up
costs for their 2mb service, but I'm not sure if that's only for new lines,
or if it includes migrated lines.

Thanks in advance.

Old June 21st 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sniffer

Have you thought of ringing Pipex and asking them. They might have some
idea of how you can go about it!

Old June 22nd 05, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

While there isn't anything wrong with Pipex, their prices aren't so good.
Have you looked at Plus.Net ? Just £14.99 for 2Mb/s Broadband Plus, no
limits (but they slow down music, video and binary downloads at busy times)
or £21.99 for Premium service (compared to Pipex's £33.99)
You can migrate to them for free, and provided your exchange has been
updated by BT you will get 2Mb/s, else you would get free upgrade when your
exchange is updated, but if you wish you can pay one of upgrade fee of
£14.99 and get 2Mb/s immediately.
I have been with Plus.Net for over two years and the service has been
excellent. They won awards for customer service and they even reply to post
here.
If you decide to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID 'wester' as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks, regards,
Martin

Old June 22nd 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Martin² wrote:

If you decide to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID 'wester' as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks, regards,
Martin

Shameless plug

On a serious note, if the OP has any questions about us, I'd be more
than willing to answer them.

Kind Regards,

Old June 22nd 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Sniffer" wrote in message news[email protected]

Have you thought of ringing Pipex and asking them. They might have some
idea of how you can go about it!

I doubt Pipex will tell me much about "Pipex horror stories" :-)

Seriously, yes I did ring them before posting here and to be honest the guy
I spoke to wasn't particularly helpful - he kept referring me to the
website, which was annoying because I was asking him to clarify a few issues
I wanted cleared up having ALREADY looked at the site.

Anyway, I've decided to go with Zen instead and should be up and running at
2mb within 5 days, barring disasters.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Martin² wrote:
If you decide to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID 'wester' as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks, regards,
Martin

Bob Pullen:
Shameless plug

Yeah, I have two of your 'BB Plus' connections and young family to
support...
(wiping a tear),
regards,
Martin