Distance from exchange

Old June 21st 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Distance from exchange

Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my exchange.
In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb connection?
Thanks

Old June 21st 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pilbs

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my exchange.
In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb connection?
Thanks

How did you obtain the figure of 962 metres?

Old June 21st 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Pilbs" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my
exchange. In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb
connection?
Thanks

How did you obtain the figure of 962 metres?

I went he http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Then I filled in both the phone number and the postcode fields. In the
results screen, I clicked on Locality. The distance is below the map.

Old June 21st 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pilbs

"Mike" wrote in message

"Pilbs" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my
exchange. In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb
connection?
Thanks

How did you obtain the figure of 962 metres?

I went he http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Then I filled in both the phone number and the postcode fields. In the
results screen, I clicked on Locality. The distance is below the map.

Well it shows my line as 3.6Km but I know my cable length is 4.8Km!

Old June 21st 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:36:14 +0000 (UTC),it is alleged that "Pilbs"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Well it shows my line as 3.6Km but I know my cable length is 4.8Km!

That would be the problem with these kind of things, they measure "as
the crow flies" as opposed to say, "The way the GPO laid the ductwork
60 years ago". Their estimate is always a minimum distance, therefore
if they say "you're too far to have X" then you're too far to have X,
but the converse of them saying "Yay, you are close enought to have Y"
is not necessarily true.

At least on local lines here we don't have the issues of, "Well the
line is ok in length but you have loading coils on it." that they have
to the left of the Atlantic.

--
The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short
phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if
Old June 21st 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:06:04 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

I went he http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Then I filled in both the phone number and the postcode fields. In the
results screen, I clicked on Locality. The distance is below the map.

It gives me the distance from the wrong exchange!

Geo
Old June 21st 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Geo" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:06:04 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

I went he http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Then I filled in both the phone number and the postcode fields. In the
results screen, I clicked on Locality. The distance is below the map.

It gives me the distance from the wrong exchange!

Geo

Same here. Our exchange moved about two years ago and it still shows the old
location.

Stephen

Old June 22nd 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

" You are approximately 9.02km from the exchange (straight line
distance)." hehe. My 1Mb connection is still holding steady, never
loses sync.

If attenuation (59db) is not so important the line should be able to
support 2mbit, as SNR is 19.0db, it dips to 15-16 at times but not for
long. Who knows, PN may put in an auto upgrade to 2mb...

Old June 22nd 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Same here. Our exchange moved about two years ago and it still shows the
old location.

Mebbe they need to change the site name to "samusedtoknow" ?

--

J B

Old June 22nd 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:07:38 +0100, "J B" wrote:

Mebbe they need to change the site name to "samusedtoknow" ?

or "samdidafantasticjobbutrightnowhehasexams"

if the exchange moved the postcode database probably hasn't reflected
this.

Phil