Telephone cabling required

Old June 21st 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Default Telephone cabling required

Hello

Can anyone help please.
I am looking to put some extensions in my house, around three. As I have
only the one socket in at the moment then I know that my wiring, BT have
just installed a new NTE5 socket and a new cable run to the pole, is as good
as it is going to get to ensure that any interference with my 8mb ADSL is
kept to a minimum. I have already fitted my ADSL faceplate splitter.

My local shops have extension cable, but it is the four wire flat type and
that might not be the best to fit if I'm to keep my SNR figures as high as
possible (my SNR varies between 12 and as low as 6).

So has anyone bought any cable, and secondary sockets, from a dealer online
and could recommend them...?

Thanks for any help.

Morgan

--
Hard Drive Noise....
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/morgan.tate/

Old June 21st 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:07:55 +0100,it is alleged that "Ed"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

So has anyone bought any cable, and secondary sockets, from a dealer online
and could recommend them...?

Much as it has been overused, for this I would recommend Category 5
cable for both the phone and ADSL sides of things. The great thing
about cat5 is that supplier really doesn't matter to that extent, if
it's genuinely been tested for compliance (anything clamiming
compliance to category 5, 5e, etc will have been).

Almost any supplier should have it at almost giveaway prices.

www.tlc-direct.co.uk are one, www.maplin.co.uk are another, and I am
sure other readers have other favoured suppliers.

If you need plain white cable, for the phone side, both of these
companies supply cable to BT's CW1308 specification also.

HTH

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977
Old June 21st 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ed wrote:
Hello

Can anyone help please.
I am looking to put some extensions in my house, around three. As I
have only the one socket in at the moment then I know that my wiring,
BT have just installed a new NTE5 socket and a new cable run to the
pole, is as good as it is going to get to ensure that any
interference with my 8mb ADSL is kept to a minimum. I have already
fitted my ADSL faceplate splitter.
My local shops have extension cable, but it is the four wire flat
type and that might not be the best to fit if I'm to keep my SNR
figures as high as possible (my SNR varies between 12 and as low as
6).
So has anyone bought any cable, and secondary sockets, from a dealer
online and could recommend them...?

Thanks for any help.

Morgan

Go DECT you know it makes sense....

Old June 21st 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Much as it has been overused, for this I would recommend Category 5
cable for both the phone and ADSL sides of things. The great thing
about cat5 is that supplier really doesn't matter to that extent, if
it's genuinely been tested for compliance (anything clamiming
compliance to category 5, 5e, etc will have been).

mm thanks for that I hadn't thought about using a Cat 5 type of cable.

Morgan

Old June 21st 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Go DECT you know it makes sense....

I have already got a Binatone MD1000 triple DECT phone setup and, regardless
of the type of ADSL filter that I use, the volume of them is pretty poor and
the functionality isn't as good as the wired phone that I would like next to
my PC, where there isn't a phone socket. The volume isn't that good even
without the ADSL filter and so that can't be the fault. I will have to check
if they are GAP compatible as I think that if they are it will allow me to
add another make of handset to the three that we already have.

Old June 21st 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

kraftee wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Only if you want to muck about with batteries going flat and it not
working when the mains fails.

Ivor