problems going from tiscali dialup to broadband

Old June 21st 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default problems going from tiscali dialup to broadband

I'm sure this is a common problem. A friend has just installed Tiscali 512k
broadband with a Sagem USB modem. The modem is connected to the master
socket via two splitters which take extensions to other parts of the house.
the modem shows power but the ADSL led is off. He has installed the supplied
Tiscali software. When he tries to connect he gets a "no dial tone"
diagnostic. I have advised him to a) get rid of the splitters and connect to
the master socket with a one piece extension cable b)check his internet
connection settings to see if it is still set to 'dial up' (his previous
method).

Can anyone suggest any other ideas. The 'no dial tone' message confuses me
as it indicates it is expecting an analog modem.

Thanks

Steve

Old June 21st 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

steve church wrote:
I'm sure this is a common problem. A friend has just installed
Tiscali 512k broadband with a Sagem USB modem. The modem is connected
to the master socket via two splitters which take extensions to other
parts of the house. the modem shows power but the ADSL led is off. He
has installed the supplied Tiscali software. When he tries to connect
he gets a "no dial tone" diagnostic. I have advised him to a) get rid
of the splitters and connect to the master socket with a one piece
extension cable b)check his internet connection settings to see if
it is still set to 'dial up' (his previous method).

Can anyone suggest any other ideas. The 'no dial tone' message
confuses me as it indicates it is expecting an analog modem.

The no dial tone message is standard Windows speek, basically, as you
already know, the modem has not synch'd.

Other than that, what you have suggested is a good start..

Old June 22nd 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:56:57 +0100, "steve church"
wrote:

The modem is connected to the master
socket via two splitters which take extensions to other parts of the house.

you don't mention microfilters ? each phone/fax/etc needs to be fed
via a filter to separate it from the ADSL signal.

Phil

Old June 22nd 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Yep, filters in place. I shall have a look in person tonight just to check
he's ticked all the right boxes.

Steve

Old June 22nd 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Just got back from my friends house. No luck in getting a connection but I
did run the DSL test that came with the CD. Only the first box was green.
The diagnostic log shows the following.
"Modem test failed"
"Test is failed: The RT modem is failed to get sync"
"Possible causes"
"The line type (DSL mode) does not match with the line type at CO side"
"Remedies"
"Check the line type (DSL mode) and use correct mode to match with CO side"

My friend spoke to Tiscali help desk who saifd for him to leave the system
on so they can perform some tests overnight.

Does anyone have any experience of the DSL test results? What might this
point to. I connected the modem through a filter and a 15 metre phone
extension to the master socket. No other devices were connected.

Steve

Old June 22nd 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:08:52 +0100, "steve church"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of the DSL test results? What might this
point to. I connected the modem through a filter and a 15 metre phone
extension to the master socket. No other devices were connected.

is this a long line ie 512k only at www.bt.com/broadband ?

if there is any extension wiring present try plugging into the test
socket to take it out of the equation
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

Phil

Old July 2nd 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
histhaneship

Hi Steve,

I am having the EXACT same problem and diagnositc messages as you. Di
you ever get this resolved? If so, can you please advise how?

I have contacted tiscali and they are goind to "check my line", but t
me this seems more like a modem problem rather than a line problem...
Ross

steve church Wrote:
Just got back from my friends house. No luck in getting a connection bu
did run the DSL test that came with the CD. Only the first box wa
green.
The diagnostic log shows the following.
"Modem test failed"
"Test is failed: The RT modem is failed to get sync"
"Possible causes"
"The line type (DSL mode) does not match with the line type at C
side"
"Remedies"
"Check the line type (DSL mode) and use correct mode to match with C
side

--
histhaneship
Old July 4th 05, 07:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grady

Ross,

I have the same problem and Tiscali have had my line checked and sorte
by BT. They rang to say that it was sorted but I still have a flashin
LED light and a 'no dial tone message'. I will let you know how thi
gets resolved.