Wireless broadband help

Old June 22nd 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin

Default Wireless broadband help

I currently have BT Broadband (which I have had since the earl
broadband trials) using a USB Alcatel modem (the frog!) and a bi
socket on the wall which a BT engineer replaced my telephone maste
socket with (one lead for the phone, one for adsl).

The main computer is networked (wired), and the other 2 computer
connect to the internet through the main one.

I now wish to go wireless and have managed to confuse myself with th
various bits I have read and advice received.

My 'ultimate' solution is so that all 3 can connect independantl
(which they can't at the moment, as the main computer has to b
connected first).

I've seen many wireless adsl modems, but do I just plug this into th
master phone socket, and then load the drivers on each computer? or i
there a better way?

All help is appreciated

--
kevin
Old June 22nd 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"kevin" wrote in message

I currently have BT Broadband (which I have had since the early
broadband trials) using a USB Alcatel modem (the frog!) and a big
socket on the wall which a BT engineer replaced my telephone master
socket with (one lead for the phone, one for adsl).

The main computer is networked (wired), and the other 2 computers
connect to the internet through the main one.

I now wish to go wireless and have managed to confuse myself with the
various bits I have read and advice received.

My 'ultimate' solution is so that all 3 can connect independantly
(which they can't at the moment, as the main computer has to be
connected first).

I've seen many wireless adsl modems, but do I just plug this into the
master phone socket, and then load the drivers on each computer? or is
there a better way?

All help is appreciated.

There are two ways of connecting multiple computers to broadband.

- Connect one PC with an ADSL modem and setup Internet Connection Sharing on
that PC so other ones can connect via a local area network; if you have only
one other PC, you can connect it to the "gateway" PC using a crossover cable
and don't even need a router/switch/hub. ICS can be set to establish a
connection automatically when a remote PC needs it. However the "gateway" PC
must be left switched on. This is the setup that I imagine you've got at
present.

- Much the better way is to get a wireless ADSL router (eg Netgear DG834G or
Linksys WAG54G) which is connected to the phone line and left permanently
connected to the internet. All the PCs then access this, either by cable
(Ethernet) or wireless.

Either way, all the PCs will be able to use the internet connection at the
same time; all you'll notice is a slight reduction in speed if one is
downloading and then a second one begins to download.

All the PCs will need some means of communicating with the router, so you'll
need either Ethernet cards (PCs may already have these builtin) or wireless
cards (very new laptops often have wireless as well as Ethernet built in). I
can recommend Netgear WG311 (PCI, for a desktop PC) and WG511 (Cardbus, for
a laptop), though you need to make sure you use the latest drivers for these
cards so as to be able to use WPA encryption.

It is important that you use some form of encryption on your wireless
network - either WEP or preferably the more secure WPA-PSK. You configure
this with a secret passphrase at the router and at each wireless card. An
insecure wireless network is accessible by anyone who's within wireless
range, both for accessing the internet and using up your bandwidth, and for
accessing any shares on PCs on your network.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:03:28 +0100, kevin
wrote:

I've seen many wireless adsl modems, but do I just plug this into the
master phone socket, and then load the drivers on each computer? or is
there a better way?

a combined ADSL modem/wireless router plugs into the master socket and
provides wireless and wired connections. You need the ability to use
one wired connection in case of problems setting up etc.

Tesco have a 50 Linksys Home Gateway modem/router and USB or PC Card
wireless NICs for 25 each. You can get bundled modem/routers with one
USB or one PC card wireless NIC for around 70. Netgear 834 is the
sort of thing you're looking for.

A wired connection (ethernet) for yr main PC and wireless USB in the
others, perhaps ?

Phil

Old June 23rd 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Happy Hunter

"kevin" wrote in message

[...]

If your main computer is already networked and the other 2 computers access
the internet via the main computer, then they must be networked too ? Have
you already got a 4 port ethernet hub of some sort ?

Assuming all 3 machines are already networked, then you need an ADSL Router.
You can buy an ADSL Wireless Router if you want, as it will give you wired
and wireless capability.

If your 3 machines are already on a network and you could plug in an ADSL
Router (wireless or not) into that network, then that's all you need to do.

You'd then switch off the ICS from the main computer, and reconfigure all
the computers to get their internet connection from the ADSL router (usually
done by setting the ADSL router up correctly including a DHCP server
function, then setting the clients as DHCP clients, they'll automatically
get the correct config from the router). If effect, the router takes the
place of your current "main pc" and shares the internet connection to the
other machines.

To be wireless, you'd then need to buy wireless cards for each of your PCs
and configure those machines to connect to your wireless router. If you do
a lot of file moving between the 3 machines, then doing that via wireless
isn't as good as wired. Depends how much data you move between all 3
machines. If you don't move lots of data between the 3 machines, then
wireless is fine.

I have a mixed configuration here, with some machines wired and some (the
laptops) wireless. All works fine, but like I said I noted that shifting
large amounts of data around between the machines (ie not from the internet)
is better done via a wired connection. In fact, to get good coverage over
the house, I have 3 wireless routers dotted around my network. It's on old
house, so the walls are thick and the signal struggles to penetrate the
walls (or find a route bouncing around the corridors).

Cheers.