PlusNet BB+ / F2S 8Mb

Old June 22nd 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

Default PlusNet BB+ / F2S 8Mb

My 12 month contract with pipex is nearly up. I am currently paying 23.44
for 1MB (no cap), but considering that I only use 6 or 7GB a month it is
kinda expensive. I am after something with:

Monthly contract with no migration fee
Reliable 2MB connection
Decent speeds for xbox live gaming
Half decent newsgroups (binary optional but an advantage)

I have been looking at F2S for 19.99 with 10Gb cap, and PlusNet's BB+ for
14.99 (no cap). F2S seems attractive because the package states 8MB, so I
shouldn't have to pay any regrade fees.

PlusNet on the other hand are very cheap. I don't use P2P software, so that
shouldn't be an issue, however I am concerned that my xbox gaming will not
take equal priority compared to everyone else's ftp downloads. Speed is
critical for gaming, and I do not want a service that isn't perfect.

Can anyone advise on these packages for my requirements, or possibly
recommend another?

-tia

Old June 22nd 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

Hi,have been with Plusnet for eighteen months years price has gone down -
always one of
the cheapest, there is no limit to downloads.Used to be with Freeserve but
service was poor
They have
excellent customer relations,have only rung them on a couple of occasions
and the phone was answered within a couple of minutes.The problem was
sorted straight away.No problems with disconnections, very reliable and
helpful

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
Best Buy with a good download speed,which have been really consistent over
the last quarter If you chose to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID
beechville96 as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks,
regards,
Keith

Old June 22nd 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

tim wrote in
news:[email protected] eranews:

You'd be better off with F2S as its 4 times as fast.

No it isn't.

http://www.f2s.co.uk/adsl/homeuser.php

"We will automatically provide the fastest possible ADSL Connect speed
that`s available at the time of subscription at your exchange!"

"f your exchange is currently equipped to a maximum of 2 mbits we will
install the fastest speed currently possible and you will be able to
upgrade to 8 mbits once available for only 15 pounds + VAT!"

Seen as 8Mbit is only in trial on a few exchanges it is highly unlikely
to be any faster based upon that argument.

--
Colin
Old June 23rd 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"cw" wrote.......

http://www.f2s.co.uk/adsl/homeuser.php
"f your exchange is currently equipped to a maximum of 2 mbits we will
install the fastest speed currently possible and you will be able to
upgrade to 8 mbits once available for only 15 pounds + VAT!"

I must have missed that bit - so it's in pretty much the same boat as
plusnet. The only thing that worries me about plusnet is if I will be
getting full speed for what I want. At the price however, it is very
tempting...

Old June 23rd 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"Dicki Dido" [email protected] wrote......

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
Best Buy with a good download speed,which have been really consistent over
the last quarter If you chose to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID
beechville96 as a

How are the plusnet newsgroups? Something just half decent would do for me.
Also would I get an xbox live gaming connection as good as my current one
with pipex, or would broadband plus bugger this up? I assume any regular
surfing and downloads will not be affected at all?

Old June 23rd 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"SparkysDream" wrote in message
"Dicki Dido" [email protected] wrote......

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is
Best Buy with a good download speed,which have been really consistent
over
the last quarter If you chose to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID
beechville96 as a

How are the plusnet newsgroups?

About 90% of the time, PlusNet's news servers work perfectly. However IMO
they are probably the least reliable of PN's services: on several occasions
in the last couple of months there have been problems either with the
ability of a news client (eg Outlook Express) to connect to the server or
else a lack of incoming news postings from the outside world. Some of this
was probably due to upgrading to more/faster servers. In between these
occasionally outages, everything works perfectly.

Old June 23rd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"SparkysDream" wrote:

"cw" wrote.......

http://www.f2s.co.uk/adsl/homeuser.php
"f your exchange is currently equipped to a maximum of 2 mbits we will
install the fastest speed currently possible and you will be able to
upgrade to 8 mbits once available for only 15 pounds + VAT!"

I must have missed that bit - so it's in pretty much the same boat as
plusnet. The only thing that worries me about plusnet is if I will be
getting full speed for what I want. At the price however, it is very
tempting...

If they do free migration, why not sign up for a monthly contract and try it out? At
the worst you'll end up with something that doesn't suit you for a month.

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 23rd 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:32:59 +0100, SparkysDream uttered forth the
following...

How are the plusnet newsgroups? Something just half decent would do for me.
Also would I get an xbox live gaming connection as good as my current one
with pipex, or would broadband plus bugger this up? I assume any regular
surfing and downloads will not be affected at all?

Or just use the Free University of Berlins news service which will cost
about 6 a year & is great unless you want binaries.
Old June 23rd 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"Martin Underwood" ......

About 90% of the time, PlusNet's news servers work perfectly. However IMO
was probably due to upgrading to more/faster servers. In between these
occasionally outages, everything works perfectly.

sounds comparable to pipex's news before they used giganews. they were good
enough for my usage.