Broadband Recommendation Pls

Old June 22nd 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie

Default Broadband Recommendation Pls

Just junking my telewest line fomr BT so I can get broadband - any
recommendations _I'm not going to be into downloading films etc so
price is well up the list
Old June 22nd 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Eddie" wrote in message
Just junking my telewest line fomr BT so I can get broadband - any
recommendations _I'm not going to be into downloading films etc so
price is well up the list

I can recommend Force9 (part of PlusNet) - I've been with them for a couple
of years, initally as dial-up and for the past few months as broadband, and
the service is mostly very good. They have had occasional glitches to their
news, mail and web services, but they usually solved them fairly quickly.
The technical support, either by phone or email, is good - they usually
answer the phone within a minute at most and the staff sound knowledgable
and keen to help - not the normal patronising know-nothings that we've
become used to on computer help desks!

I've got a 2 Mbit/sec line and when I've run the speed tests, I've achieved
between 1.5 and 1.9 Mbps at various time of day.

The Broadband Lite [sic - ugh!] tariff costs 14.99 for a 1 GB/month capped
service, with a charge of 1.50/GB or 1.90/GB above that, depending on
whether you agree in advance that you'll go over the initial 1 GB/month
limit. Alternatively there is an "unlimited"[*] tariff which is a bit more
expensive.

If you decide to sign up, mention my username "martinunderwood" so I get the
referral points!

[*] whatever that means in today's Brave New World ;-)

Old June 22nd 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Eddie says...
Just junking my telewest line fomr BT so I can get broadband - any
recommendations _I'm not going to be into downloading films etc so
price is well up the list

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?...sidentialintro

several potions available from Eclipse offering different usage plans
(including unlimited). 2Mb with 1Gb quota starts at 14.99pcm

And no referral bonus spam link either

FR
Old June 22nd 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

Hi,have been with Plusnet for eighteen months years price has gone down -
always one of
the cheapest, there is no limit to downloads.Used to be with Freeserve but
service was poor
They have
excellent customer relations,have only rung them on a couple of occasions
and the phone was answered within a couple of minutes.The problem was
sorted straight away.No problems with disconnections, very reliable and
helpful

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
Best Buy with a good download speed,which have been really consistent over
the last quarter If you chose to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID
beechville96 as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks,
regards,
Keith

Old June 23rd 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:15:59 +0100, "Dicki Dido" [email protected]
wrote:

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
Best Buy with a good download speed,which have been really consistent over
the last quarter If you chose to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID
beechville96 as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks,

you got Which to print your referral code ? Wow !

Phil

Old June 23rd 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Walsh

I've got a 2 Mbit/sec line and when I've run the speed tests, I've
achieved between 1.5 and 1.9 Mbps at various time of day.

The Broadband Lite [sic - ugh!] tariff costs 14.99 for a 1 GB/month
capped service, with a charge of 1.50/GB or 1.90/GB above that,
depending on whether you agree in advance that you'll go over the initial
1 GB/month limit. Alternatively there is an "unlimited"[*] tariff which
is a bit more expensive.

If you decide to sign up, mention my username "martinunderwood" so I get
the referral points!

The Force9 Broadband package

Premier 21.99 ratio 30:1
Plus 14.99 ratio 50:1

apart from that for me is there any big difference they both seem to be 2Mb
speed, some small things in package that are different. I want Free modem,
filters, Setup, also no download limits.

I cannot not see any real big things that are different at first glance.

But the 14.99 package looks good might go for it unless anyone can say why
the 21.99 is better value

Old June 23rd 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Ken Walsh" wrote in message
[...]

When I was choosing the right Force9 tariff for me a few months ago in
anticipation of my exchange being enabled (finally!), I had great difficulty
understanding the differences between the Plus and Premier packages. I think
when looked on the portal, the cheaper one was called Lite rather than Plus.
The description of the packages was VERY woolly and full of meaningless
phrases. What was sadly lacking was a simple table of features side-by-side
for the two packages - or even a simple sentence such as "the Lite tariff is
limited to 1 GB/month although this may be upgraded at 1.50 per additional
1 GB; the Premier tariff is 'unlimited' apart from our Fair Use Policy".

I went for the 14.99 1GB package and in the three months I've had it, I've
actually used about 1.5 GB so I've paid an additional 1.90/month for the
"unarranged borrowing". Now that I've seen what my typical usage is, I think
I'll upgrade to 2 GB so I only pay 1.50 instead of 1.90 because I've
arranged it in advance.

The better contention ratio of the 21.99 package is in theory an advantage,
but I've not found that my download speeds are bad even with the 50:1 of the
14.99 package: using their speed test at various times of day I get between
1.4 and 1.9 Mbit/sec on a 2 Mbit/sec line. In terms of real downloads, the
rate-limiting step is often the server: when I download the Windows Updates,
I often don't get above about 1 Mbit/sec, especially in the middle of the
day (when the US is waking up?).

Old June 23rd 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:58:24 +0000 (UTC), "Ken Walsh"
wrote:

I cannot not see any real big things that are different at first glance.

apart from 70% more contention.

Phil

Old June 23rd 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Martin Underwood wrote:
What was sadly lacking was a simple table of features side-by-side
for the two packages - or even a simple sentence such as "the Lite tariff is
limited to 1 GB/month although this may be upgraded at 1.50 per additional
1 GB; the Premier tariff is 'unlimited' apart from our Fair Use Policy".

The product spec he-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

and the info links at the bottom of each column pretty much sums up the
differences between our current offerings.

Kind Regards,

Old June 23rd 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Walsh

wrote:

I cannot not see any real big things that are different at first glance.

apart from 70% more contention.

well I said that was the main difference but after that for a normal user
cannot really see what
I would gain, I can upgrade if I want to, if I feel I need the 30:1

but this Plus offer looks the best I`ve seen (been looking for a week or
more not rushing)
so I`m just going to log on and sign up for it ;-)