Wanadoo wireless broadband router incompatibilities????

Old June 22nd 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Euclid

Default Wanadoo wireless broadband router incompatibilities????

I am trying to upgrade to an ADSL wireless router connection from the
current Wanadoo USB modem with a BT voyager 2100 and a PCI 54g adapter.

When I replace the USB modem and connect the Voyager to the line instead, it
won't train up - the DSL light just keeps on flashing, but the wireless
connection works perfectly.

When I test the Voyager in another location with a different ISP it trains
immediately and a successful connection is established.

I remember seeing something about Wanadoo wireless routers being
incompatible with "standard" off the shelf routers, having special firmware.

Have Wanado done something to lock out routers they don't supply themselves?

Neither Wanadoo or BT want to provide any help with this problem.

I've checked cables, filters, router settings, different sockets, in fact
just about everything, but to no avail.

Anybody out there had something similar or can offer some clues?

Old June 22nd 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Euclid" wrote in message
[...]

I've had exactly this symptom with a Dlink 604 router (and also with a
Netgear DG834G router) on a customer's newly-enabled Wanadoo line.

The Dlink's log says "DSL down / DSL training" repeatedly; the Netgear says
"LCP down / LCP is allowed to come up". Neither gets to the stage of trying
to do a CHAP authentication. The line speed indications in the routers say 0
Mbps. Interetsingly, the ADSL light does at least flash on the
broadband-enabled line whereas it doesn't even come on if I plug into a
non-enabled line - so there's *some* sort of signal there.

I've mentioned the models of routers to Wanadoo and they've never said "oh,
those won't work - you need a special router"; they've confirmed that the
broadband parameters (VPI/VCI, encapsulation, modulation etc) are correct.
They've got BT to do two line tests which have come back "no fault", but so
far BT haven't been called in to investigate the local line between the
exchange and the customer's socket - I imagine that will cost the customer
money.

Up to know I've thought it was just a duff line, especially as a phone
plugged into the microfilter has a rather distorted dialling tone compared
with putting the microfilter into another separate phone line. Now you're
making me wonder whether there's a compatibility problem...

Old June 22nd 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Martin Underwood wrote:

: I've had exactly this symptom with a Dlink 604 router (and also with a
: Netgear DG834G router) on a customer's newly-enabled Wanadoo line.

: The Dlink's log says "DSL down / DSL training" repeatedly; the Netgear says
: "LCP down / LCP is allowed to come up". Neither gets to the stage of trying
: to do a CHAP authentication. The line speed indications in the routers say 0
: Mbps. Interetsingly, the ADSL light does at least flash on the
: broadband-enabled line whereas it doesn't even come on if I plug into a
: non-enabled line - so there's *some* sort of signal there.

The Netgear one is definitely fine ... lots of people have them!!! I suspect
the other is as well.

Your router lights sound exactly like those on a non-Broadband enabled line!
Old June 22nd 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
taff

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:

[...]

My BT Voyager 2100 worked fine straight out of the box on wanadoo. I bought
it from the BT shop online so there shouldn't have been any special
firmware installed.

Old June 25th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tanja Gommers

Well... I can tell you now it is not Wanadoo only!
I have been driven mad today...
My mother in law has the same router as us a D-Link G604T and we loved it...
until last saturday suddenly hers stopped working on Tiscali!
The ADSL light keeps on flashing and in the log it shows adsl carrier down
and adsl carrier training.

Tiscali has tested the line both with their modem (which IS working) and
with the router and say the line is the problem.

BUT... I have taken my mother in laws router to my house and it works
perfectly on my Wanadoo(!) broadband connection.

So... if ANYONE has anymore ideas I would be so grateful to hear them!

Thanks
Tanja

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old June 26th 05, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:17:25 -0500, "Tanja
wrote:

So... if ANYONE has anymore ideas I would be so grateful to hear them!

need to know the downstream SNR margin or Noise Margin of the device
that works to have a clue.

Sounds like its very marginal, one device can manage it and not the
other. On a line with more margin the "failed" device will see enough
signal and be happy.

http://www.pipexsupport.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=3408
gives info on getting statistics from several modems

Phil