Speedtouch 330/cabling question

Old June 22nd 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pidgeonpost

Default Speedtouch 330/cabling question

Apologies if this has been asked before, but wonder if someone can help with
a query on this please.
A neighbour has recently signed up to Virgin broadband and the package
includes a thomson Speedtouch 330 modem. Connection fails with a 'no dial
tone' message, although a continuous dial tone is present. The USB led on
modem is solid green, but ADSL led flashes green, which I reckon (from
manual) means it's trying to sync but not making it. Running diags (Dr
Speedtouch) the PC and modem tests work OK, so I reckon it's a cabling
issue. The wiring is (I think) optimistic....looks like this:-

(Modem----)-(---30' telco extension lead---)-(telco extn skt)-(house telco
wiring)-(master socket)

I've left out the filters for clarity(!), as the documentation says they are
optional.

Guess my question is.....is this too far to extend from the master telco
socket, and should this modem work with a standard phone extension lead?

Browsed installation CD & web site but NBG so far.

Suggestions appreciated....Tom H.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:28:20 +0000 (UTC), "Pilbs"
wrote:

as the documentation says they
are optional.

don't think so. Each phone/fax/alarm/CLID unit/sky box/prefix
dialler/etc etc needs to be fed via a microfilter.

Phil

Old June 22nd 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:17:24 +0100, "Pidgeonpost"
wrote:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but wonder if someone can help with
a query on this please.
A neighbour has recently signed up to Virgin broadband and the package
includes a thomson Speedtouch 330 modem. Connection fails with a 'no dial
tone' message, although a continuous dial tone is present.

If there is a phone along with the modem on a filter try connecting
with the phone off the hook.

http://www.easynn.com
Old June 23rd 05, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Pidgeonpost" wrote in message
Apologies if this has been asked before, but wonder if someone can help with
a query on this please.
A neighbour has recently signed up to Virgin broadband and the package
includes a thomson Speedtouch 330 modem. Connection fails with a 'no dial
tone' message, although a continuous dial tone is present. The USB led on
modem is solid green, but ADSL led flashes green, which I reckon (from
manual) means it's trying to sync but not making it. Running diags (Dr
Speedtouch) the PC and modem tests work OK, so I reckon it's a cabling
issue. The wiring is (I think) optimistic....looks like this:-

Are you shure that the line has been activated?

(Modem----)-(---30' telco extension lead---)-(telco extn skt)-(house telco
wiring)-(master socket)

Just attach the modem to the filter (to provde RJ11 socket) and then connect
filter to 30' extension lead.

I've left out the filters for clarity(!), as the documentation says they are
optional.

Guess my question is.....is this too far to extend from the master telco
socket,

No

and should this modem work with a standard phone extension lead?

Yes - provided there are no filters upstream of the extension lead.

--

Michael Chare

Old June 23rd 05, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pidgeonpost

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

....thanks for the suggestions folks. Regarding the filters, they are in the
positions shown below...

Modem----)-(---30' telco extension lead---)-(filter)-(telco extn skt)-(house
telco
wiring)-(filter)-(master socket)

At least one part of the documentation suggests that filters are required
only to syphon off telephony stuff. Tried temporarily removing them, but no
joy.
We've been assured that the line has been activated.
The modem installation doc suggests that s'ware must be installed BEFORE the
modem is connected. A couple of other people have had their fingers in this
pie before me, so I've no idea whether they did this or not. I removed the
software, had a (quick) check that it had gone from hard drive and registry
then re-installed - still no luck.
Can't get another look til Friday probably but will post to let you know how
it goes.

Thanks again,

Tom

Old June 23rd 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Pidgeonpost" wrote in message

...thanks for the suggestions folks. Regarding the filters, they are in the
positions shown below...

Modem----)-(---30' telco extension lead---)-(filter)-(telco extn skt)-(house
telco
wiring)-(filter)-(master socket)

If you connect the modem via the BT socket outlet on a filter the high frequency
signals will be inhibited.

I suggest that you try without any filters, or just one at the modem end to
convert the modem's RJ11 plug.

--

Michael Chare

Old June 23rd 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pidgeonpost

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Pidgeonpost" wrote in message

...thanks for the suggestions folks. Regarding the filters, they are in
the
positions shown below...

Modem----)-(---30' telco extension lead---)-(filter)-(telco extn
skt)-(house
telco
wiring)-(filter)-(master socket)

If you connect the modem via the BT socket outlet on a filter the high
frequency
signals will be inhibited.

I suggest that you try without any filters, or just one at the modem end
convert the modem's RJ11 plug.

--

Michael Chare

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

OK folks...an update on yesterdays efforts, but still no connection.
My efforts yesterday were made pretty much on the assumption that whoever
put this together knew what they were doing. Wrong! Looking closer today,
there was no way you could achieve the recommended filter connection to the
back of the modem. The filter has 3 connections:-
1. telco socket to plug phone in.
2. modem socket for cable from modem - can't remember now whether it RJ11 or
RJ14 - but it's the little itty-bitty one.
3. short fly-lead with telco plug to insert into phone wall socket.
Problem with this is that the modem lead had the usual small plug to shove
into the modem, but a telco plug at t'other end, which obviously ain't going
to fit into the socket marked 'modem' on the filter.
It then transpired that (another) neighbour had an identical setup, and
examination revealed that their modem-to-filter lead had normal modem plug
each end. Aha! thought I. Plug this cable in and we'll be in business, but
it made no difference whatever, even after rebooting, removing/reinstalling
software, swapping the modem, swapping the filter...
Eventually spoke to modem help desk who suggested a bunch of things to try.
Went through them all at 50p/minute, and eventually the guy said he'd call
us back with a Case ID. Except he didn't.
So....still off-line as we speak. One thing I think is v. poor is that the
Virgin documentation is all very cuddly, but nowhere does it mention a
helpdesk phone number! Plenty of URL's, but what good is that if you can't
get on line!
Oh....Michael....did try with no filters...same symptoms I'm afraid. Guess I
could try sacrificing a goat over it or something....just a joke animal
lovers, just a joke...

Tom

Old June 23rd 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:30:12 +0100,it is alleged that "Dave {Reply
Address in.sig}" spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

Pah! The Yoof of Today. Everyone knows that goat sacrifices are to get SCSI
to work, not networks.

With the correct breed of goat, they could also be used (in the
absence of available chicken blood) to get various pieces of IDE kit
working together[1] some form of semi-harmony.

[1]Back in the day, when IDE drives from one manufacturer would laugh
evilly at controllers of another manufacturer. Or, in my paranoid
delusions, if they didn't like the colour of the cable.

not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Old June 24th 05, 05:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

[1]Back in the day, when IDE drives from one manufacturer would laugh
evilly at controllers of another manufacturer. Or, in my paranoid
delusions, if they didn't like the colour of the cable.

Oh remember those well !!!

Dave