A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 22nd 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

France Telecom is preparing a 4bn ($7.3bn; 5.9bn euro) takeover bid for
communications giant Cable & Wireless (C&W), the Sunday Telegraph has said.

The French firm hopes to consolidate its UK interests, such as mobile phone
operator Orange, and merge its internet business Wanadoo with C&W's Bulldog.

A tie-up would also give France Telecom greater access to the lucrative parts
of the business market.
Both France Telecom and C&W were unavailable for comment on the report.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4108510.stm


  #2  
Old June 22nd 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
France Telecom is preparing a 4bn ($7.3bn; 5.9bn euro) takeover bid for
communications giant Cable & Wireless (C&W), the Sunday Telegraph has said.

The French firm hopes to consolidate its UK interests, such as mobile phone
operator Orange, and merge its internet business Wanadoo with C&W's Bulldog.

A tie-up would also give France Telecom greater access to the lucrative parts
of the business market.
Both France Telecom and C&W were unavailable for comment on the report.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4108510.stm



old news "Last Updated: Sunday, 19 June, 2005"
  #3  
Old June 22nd 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

Thus spaketh tim:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
France Telecom is preparing a 4bn ($7.3bn; 5.9bn euro) takeover bid
for communications giant Cable & Wireless (C&W), the Sunday
Telegraph has said. The French firm hopes to consolidate its UK interests,
such as
mobile phone operator Orange, and merge its internet business
Wanadoo with C&W's Bulldog. A tie-up would also give France Telecom greater
access to the
lucrative parts of the business market.
Both France Telecom and C&W were unavailable for comment on the
report. Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4108510.stm



old news "Last Updated: Sunday, 19 June, 2005"



Yes it is and was, but noticed no mention was made here about it, so thought
many may have missed it.


  #4  
Old June 22nd 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh tim:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

France Telecom is preparing a 4bn ($7.3bn; 5.9bn euro) takeover bid
for communications giant Cable & Wireless (C&W), the Sunday
Telegraph has said. The French firm hopes to consolidate its UK interests,
such as
mobile phone operator Orange, and merge its internet business
Wanadoo with C&W's Bulldog. A tie-up would also give France Telecom greater
access to the
lucrative parts of the business market.
Both France Telecom and C&W were unavailable for comment on the
report. Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4108510.stm



old news "Last Updated: Sunday, 19 June, 2005"




Yes it is and was, but noticed no mention was made here about it, so thought
many may have missed it.



I read it here. Apparently, France Telecom denied it.
  #5  
Old June 23rd 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:37:18 +0100, tim wrote:



I read it here. Apparently, France Telecom denied it.



Probably true in that case!

--
Tony )
  #6  
Old June 24th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

On 22 Jun 2005 23:37, tim wrote:

I read it here. Apparently, France Telecom denied it.


Perhaps you could quote the message ID ? It's the first and only
mention I've seen of the suggestion. There was a piece earlier in
the month which mentioned France Telecom (a long newspaper article)
"BT and Wanadoo, which is owned by France Telecom, are developing TV
and video-ondemand services for broadband. " Peter Morgan.
  #7  
Old June 24th 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:46:59 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

It's the first and only
mention I've seen of the suggestion.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/06/19/cnfrtel19.xml

(registration required)

"Any deal would see the merger of Bulldog, C&W's internet business,
with Wanadoo, France Telecom's subsidiary. It would also give Equant,
the French group's corporate telecoms provider, access to C&W's
multinational customers and to the higher margin segment of the
business market.

Combes also believes that owning C&W's British network would create
significant savings for Orange in the UK."

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #8  
Old June 24th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

On 24 Jun 2005 14:50, Phil Thompson wrote:

It's the first and only mention I've seen of the suggestion.


Thanks. I was assuming the earlier poster was suggesting it had been
*posted* in uk.telecom.broadband, based on his comment and 'complaint'
that it was 'old news'. Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
  #9  
Old June 24th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default France Telecom 'planning C&W bid'

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:58:41 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

I was assuming the earlier poster was suggesting it had been
*posted* in uk.telecom.broadband, based on his comment and 'complaint'
that it was 'old news'.


someone quoted part of it, possibly in uk.telecom. I surrender :-)

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free wi-fi in France Rob uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 May 18th 05 07:06 PM
France have 20mb/s speed when here ?? Anorak uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 10 May 5th 05 12:04 AM
BT (Yahoo) requested MAC, told they are planning unlimited? narcissu uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 April 13th 05 02:08 PM
P2P legal in France ! Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 March 13th 05 08:48 PM
ADSL differences France Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 December 23rd 03 07:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.