PlusNet

Old June 23rd 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default PlusNet

I'm looking into getting broadband soon. After a lot of research, I finally
settled on the PlusNet BroadbandPlus package for the following reasons:

Up to 2Mbs (whatever the line supports)
Unlimited downloads
No annual contract
Only 14.99 a month

Its seems there is no downside, and I've heard the service is good.

I look forward to any opinions on PlusNet or recommendations of other ISPs.

Thanks

Old June 23rd 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Paul" wrote in message
I'm looking into getting broadband soon. After a lot of research, I
finally
settled on the PlusNet BroadbandPlus package for the following reasons:

Up to 2Mbs (whatever the line supports)
Unlimited downloads
No annual contract
Only 14.99 a month

Its seems there is no downside, and I've heard the service is good.

I look forward to any opinions on PlusNet or recommendations of other
ISPs.

Thanks

Remember that Plusnet's broadband plus service uses traffic shaping at peak
times on P2P downloads. Which basically means they throttle P2P download
speed when their network is busy. I am on Plusnet's Premier
2Mb(21.99/month) service which doesn't have any traffic shaping. The
service is great 100% uptime since I joined 2 months ago, great speeds and
customer service is good.
If you don't use P2P much then Broadband Plus will be fine for you but if
you want to use P2P a lot then go for the premier package

Old June 23rd 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Well_i_Wonder

"Paul" wrote in message
I'm looking into getting broadband soon. After a lot of research, I
finally
settled on the PlusNet BroadbandPlus package for the following reasons:

Up to 2Mbs (whatever the line supports)
Unlimited downloads
No annual contract
Only 14.99 a month

Its seems there is no downside, and I've heard the service is good.

I look forward to any opinions on PlusNet or recommendations of other
ISPs.

Thanks

Hi, likewise I did a lot of research and no ISP seemed able to compete with
Plusnet.

I've been with them a month so can't comment on long term issues but the
initial set up couldn't have been more efficient. I was notified as to what
was happening at every stage, the modem arrived 3 days before connection,
and I was connected on the 7th day after signing up.

I'm currently on the Pay As You Go option to judge my usage, and I may
change to the unlimited if need be. I've used it for P2P and bit torrents
etc and have experienced excellent download speeds even at peak times.

Usenet also seems to be more reliable than when I was with Wanadoo.

If you go with them and you'd like to save me a few pence a month my
referrer ID is 'skintnminted'.

W.

Old June 23rd 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

Paul wrote:
I'm looking into getting broadband soon. After a lot of research, I finally
settled on the PlusNet BroadbandPlus package for the following reasons:

Up to 2Mbs (whatever the line supports)
Unlimited downloads
No annual contract
Only 14.99 a month

Its seems there is no downside, and I've heard the service is good.

I look forward to any opinions on PlusNet or recommendations of other ISPs.

Thanks

I just signed up with Plusnet yesterday, with an ADSL migration date of
18th July (my choice as I've just paid BT for another month - lead
time is allegedly 5-7 days). I have my e-mail account and dialup
already and they work. I chose Plus because of the consistently high
ratings on www.adslguide.org, and I'm impressed so far. I've gone for
the PAYG option (14.99 for 1Gb with extra Gbs at 1 pre-paid or
1.25 post-paid) as I'm a light user but I've added on the .co.uk
domain for another 1 per month.
Will keep you posted.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

AJH wrote on 23 Jun 2005 07:51:39 -0700:

Paul wrote:
[...]

Any particular reason why you didn't got with the BB Plus service? If you're
on PAYG you're obviously not aiming to download GBs every month, so a little
bit of P2P traffic shaping seems like it wouldn't affect you anyway. It's
14.99 fixed per month, no need to buy extra GBs as it's "unlimited". The
Plus product has more contention, but that appears to rarely, if ever, have
any affect.

I've been on the 21.99 - well, less with referal credits - Premier for a
few months now, very happy and customer service is much easier to deal with
than when I was on Pipex.

Dan

Old June 23rd 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

Best thing Since slice bread

Can't fault there products what so ever, newsgroups are sometimes dodgy but
thats about it...

If in doubt do a email to support on all the main ISP's and see which one
replies back 1st, I had a reply from plusnet in under 2hrs ... wanadoo took
about 8 days... BT yahoo I'm still waiting and AOL ask them a simple
question and they go to pot.

Old June 23rd 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Spack wrote:

Any particular reason why you didn't got with the BB Plus service?

Whilst BB Plus has the advantage of not being capped - there are a few other
features which you *don't* get compared with BB Home PAYG (or Premier).
These may not matter to a lot of people but - if they do - might influence
you towards one of the other products. With BB Plus, you don't get:
* A fixed IP address
* A fax2email facility
* Quite as much webspace
* Free speed upgrade when BT 'do' your exchange
* (Possibly other things which I've forgotten - check out the PN site)
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 23rd 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Spack wrote:

Any particular reason why you didn't got with the BB Plus service?

Whilst BB Plus has the advantage of not being capped - there are a few
other
features which you *don't* get compared with BB Home PAYG (or Premier).
These may not matter to a lot of people but - if they do - might influence
you towards one of the other products. With BB Plus, you don't get:
* A fixed IP address
* A fax2email facility
* Quite as much webspace
* Free speed upgrade when BT 'do' your exchange
* (Possibly other things which I've forgotten - check out the PN site)
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

Why do you call yourself Tiscali Tim? Do you work for them?

Old June 23rd 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Spack wrote:

Any particular reason why you didn't got with the BB Plus service?

Whilst BB Plus has the advantage of not being capped - there are a few other
features which you *don't* get compared with BB Home PAYG (or Premier).
These may not matter to a lot of people but - if they do - might influence
you towards one of the other products. With BB Plus, you don't get:
* A fixed IP address
* A fax2email facility
* Quite as much webspace

True. And for me it's not an issue, but...

* Free speed upgrade when BT 'do' your exchange

With this I understood that the "up to" included the possible upgrade to 2meg free if
your line will support it.

Perhaps Plusnet will clarify?

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 23rd 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ron wrote:

Why do you call yourself Tiscali Tim? Do you work for them?

It's a throwback to when I used to use Tiscali SmartTalk for cheap phone
calls - before I discovered 18866. I have no other connection with them, and
have never used them as an ISP.

I ought to think up a new handle - but I'm too idle! g
--
Cheers,
Tim